Office of the Chief Science Advisor
The Office of the Chief Science Advisor of Canada is committed to ensuring that government science is fully available to the public. This also involves ensuring that government scientists can speak freely about their work and that scientific analyses are considered when the government makes decisions.
Dr. Mona Nemer
The Chief Science Advisor's key functions are as follows:
- Provide advice on the development and implementation of guidelines to ensure that government science is fully available to the public and that federal scientists are able to speak freely about their work
- Provide advice on creating and implementing processes to ensure that scientific analyses are considered when the Government makes decisions
- Assess and recommend ways to improve the existing science advisory function within the federal government
- Assess and recommend ways for the Government to better support quality scientific research within the federal system
Before becoming the Chief Science Advisor, Dr. Nemer was Professor and Vice-President of Research at the University of Ottawa and Director of the school’s Molecular Genetics and Cardiac Regeneration Laboratory. She holds a PhD in Chemistry from McGill University and did post-doctoral training in molecular biology at the Institut de Recherche Clinique de Montréal and Columbia University.
Expert Panel on Aquaculture Science
Model Policy on Scientific Integrity
Promoting Diversity in STEM
Reports and Updates
- Canadian Science Facebook Page The Government of Canada's official feed for the latest on R&D, funding, DIY experiments and news related to science.
- Science and innovation: Scientific research, funding, datasets, innovation support, facilities and educational resources.
- Science subjects: Government research and resources on a wide variety of scientific topics.
- Research institutes and facilities: Government research centres across Canada and how to partner with or access these facilities.
- Directory of scientists and research professionals: A directory of government scientists and research professionals.
- Science education resources: Activities, lesson plans, videos and more to help youth learn about science and technology.
FAQ and Contact
- Date modified: