Economic Strategy Tables
- Common terms of reference
- Conflict of interest and confidentiality agreement
- News Release - Industry leaders shaping Canada’s future economic growth
In Budget 2017, the Government of Canada announced a new vision for Canada's economy as a global leader in innovation, anchored by the Innovation and Skills Plan. In this plan, the creation of the six Economic Strategy tables will support innovation in advanced manufacturing, agri-food, clean technology, digital industries, health/bio-sciences and clean resources.
The Economic Strategy Tables are a new model for industry-government collaboration, focused on turning Canadian economic strengths into global advantages. The Tables are chaired by industry leaders and will set ambitious growth targets, identify sector-specific challenges and "bottlenecks", and lay out an actionable roadmap to achieve their goals. Learn more about the on-going work of each Table by clicking on the links below.
The sectors that drive innovation are where the middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow are created. Our government is committed to working with entrepreneurs and innovators to generate new business opportunities, create good middle-class jobs and equip Canadians with the skills they need for the jobs of the future. Our government looks forward to working with industry partners through the Economic Strategy Tables to turn high-growth Canadian companies into global successes
- Charles Deguire, Co-founder, Kinova Robotics, Advanced Manufacturing Table
- Kinova's robotic arm solutions and their intuitive manipulation capacity transcends the limitations of next generation robotics technology. The work accomplished by CEO and co-founder of Kinova, Charles Deguire, determined to empower humanity through robotics, has earned him the reputation as a leader of the modern robotics revolution, and a 2016 Governor General Innovation Award.
- Murad Al-Katib, President and CEO, AGT Food and Ingredients, Agri-Food Table
- Murad Al-Katib is President and CEO of Saskatchewan-based AGT Food and Ingredients Inc., a global supplier of staple products, food ingredients and products made from grains and pulses such as lentils, peas, beans and chickpeas. He is known as a leader who consistently balances social responsibility with profitability. He was the recipient of the 2017 Oslo Business for Peace Award for successfully providing 700 million refugee meals to the United Nation's Syrian refugee program.
- Karimah Es Sabar, CEO and Partner, Quark Venture, Health/Bio-sciences Table
- Karimah Es Sabar's expansive global career spans multi-national pharmaceutical/biotechnology companies, new company start-ups, innovation incubators, commercialization accelerators and venture investment. She has raised significant funds, brought products to market, and has also developed and executed innovation and translation strategies in the life science sector and in biotech investment. Karimah has also received multiple awards and recognition for her pioneering work and serves on numerous health and innovation boards.
- Audrey Mascarenhas, President and CEO, Questor Technology, Clean Technology Table
- Audrey Mascarenhas is the President and CEO of Questor Technology Inc., a Calgary-based international clean technology company with patented efficient waste gas combustion technology that also designs integrated solutions to utilize heat to generate power and produce pure water from waste water streams. Ms. Mascarenhas was the recipient of the 2011 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Prairies Award for Cleantech and Environmental Services and Valued Innovation. Questor was recognized by the Cleantech Innovation exchange (CIX) as one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Cleantech Canadian Companies.
- Tobias Lütke, Founder and CEO, Shopify, Digital Industries Table
- Tobias Lütke is the founder and CEO of Shopify. The Ottawa-based company powers over 500,000 businesses around the world through its multi-channel commerce platform. As a programmer by background, Tobi has served on the core team of the Ruby on Rails framework and has created many popular open source libraries. Tobi actively supports groups that focus on computer literacy, education and building greater tech talent in Canada.
- To be announced, Clean Resources Table
Economic Strategy tables
Clean Technology Table
Clean Resources Table
Provide your input
We look forward to hearing from you. You can share your answers to these questions, or follow the conversation at #EconStrategy
- What is your aspirational vision for your sector? What would success look like in 2025?
- It is often suggested that countries need to target their growth efforts towards areas of competitive advantage. In your sector, where does Canada have strength or emerging strength?
- What are the obstacles to innovation in your sector? (You may wish to think about investment, talent and skills, access to markets, rules or regulations, demand.) How could these be overcome?
- What is, or will be, the most significant innovation globally in your sector for the next 10 years? What is needed to capitalize on this innovation and establish Canada as a world leader?
- To ensure that all Canadians benefit from accelerated economic growth, what actions and partnerships could businesses, educational institutions, governments, and Canadians undertake?
- Date modified: