Strategic Innovation Fund
A simpler, more flexible tool to grow Canada's economy
Making sure that Canada is a top destination for businesses to invest, grow and create jobs and prosperity for Canadians is one of the Government's top priorities. The Strategic Innovation Fund's (SIF) objective is to spur innovation for a better Canada by providing funding for large projects and national innovation ecosystems.
Learn more about the program, its objectives and how it benefits Canada.
Learn more about SIF's current investment priorities.
in SIF contributions
Total investment leveraged
Jobs created and maintained
(not including indirect, induced, and construction jobs)
Get more information: Breakdown of announced projects
How to apply
- Check your eligibility by completing the SIF self-screening questionnaire.
Check your eligibility
- If your project meets the SIF eligibility requirements, you will be given the opportunity to complete a Statement of Interest or to consult with us.
- Once you apply, your project will be assessed for consideration. A Strategic Innovation Fund officer will be in contact to update you on the status of your application.
Eligible projects are not guaranteed to receive an investment from SIF.
SIF is currently focusing on innovative projects that meet the SIF eligibility requirements and directly support one of our current investment priority areas.
Streams of activities
Investments towards R&D and commercialization, the growth and expansion of firms and the attraction and retention of large scale investments in Canada.
Learn more about eligibility requirements for Business Innovation and Growth.
Investments to foster national innovation ecosystems and support industrial research, development, technology demonstration and commercialization through collaboration between academia, non-profit organizations and the private sector.
Learn more about eligibility requirements for Collaborations and Networks.
Current investment priorities
SIF supports a wide range of large-scale, transformative and collaborative projects across all sectors of the economy.
Innovative projects that meet the SIF eligibility requirements and directly support one of the priority areas, may be prioritized for assessment ahead of other initiatives.
The Fall Economic Statement and Budget 2021 outlined a number of specific investment priorities, including:
Net Zero Accelerator
Funding for projects that:
- decarbonize domestic large emitters in support of Canada's 2030 greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets and its 2050 net zero emissions goal
- transform Canadian industry for the future net-zero economy by adopting or commercializing new low- or zero-carbon intensity products, processes, or methods of production
- develop a Canadian battery ecosystem and other emerging clean technologies with market potential, to capitalize on net-zero opportunities and enable decarbonization
Learn more: Net Zero Accelerator Initiative
Biomanufacturing and Life Sciences
Funding for projects that:
- build domestic resilience and improve long-term pandemic preparedness by filling critical gaps in biomanufacturing and supply chains as well as in the development of vaccines and therapeutics
- support innovative firms that are well-positioned for growth in the life-sciences sector
- are co-funded by proponents or others entities
Learn more: Biomanufacturing: Advancing life sciences industry in Canada
Intellectual Property (IP)
Funding for projects with a formally-protected IP that:
- have a strong R&D capacity or resources to develop new technologies and unique inventions
- will build a strong IP portfolio or broaden the scope of an already strong IP portfolio
- can commercialize the IP portfolio in Canada with strong public benefits
Learn more: Intellectual property and copyright
Funding for projects that:
- support growth and recovery by anchoring production mandates and jobs in Canada
- support industrial transformation that will grow Canada's global leadership position in sustainable aviation
- develop innovative technologies, adopt advanced manufacturing processes and disruptive technologies across the supply chain to improve competitiveness
Learn more: Canadian aerospace and defence industry
Funding projects that:
- build on existing R&D and manufacturing strengths
- contribute to a national network and supply chain
- position Canada as a critical global supplier of specialized semiconductors
Learn more: Semiconductor Challenge Callout
Other priority areas
Funding for projects that promote innovation with research, development and technology adoption or adaptation, from all sectors of the economy including:
- Natural resources
Learn more: About the program
A list of all projects by recipient with a description of the SIF contribution.
Advancing the life sciences industry in Canada
The Strategic Innovation Fund is powered by Innovation Canada
At Innovation Canada, we back innovators. From funding to expert advice to driving new collaborations, our programs and services are designed to help businesses innovate, create jobs and grow Canada's economy. We are committed to providing inclusive programs and cultivating a workplace that is both diverse and inclusive so that we can best support the businesses we serve.
- Date modified: