All Canadians should have access to high-speed Internet service and extensive wireless coverage, no matter where they live. The Government of Canada offers numerous programs and initiatives to make the vision of a truly connected Canada a reality as part of the High Speed Access for All: Canada's Connectivity Strategy.
Help build the future of high-speed Internet in Canada
By taking two minutes to complete a quick internet speed test, you'll be helping us collect data to ensure that we expand high-speed networks to rural, remote, northern and under-served communities across Canada.
Building the new program together
To help every Canadian access high-speed internet at minimum speeds of 50/10 Mbps, the Government of Canada announced Canada's Connectivity Strategy, a plan to deliver up to $6 billion in investments in rural broadband over the next 10 years.
A key tool in developing high-speed internet across Canada will be the new Universal Broadband Fund (UBF), which will support broadband projects across the country. Designed to meet the unique needs of rural and remote communities, the UBF will be informed by feedback from Canadians as part of the Government's roadmap for supporting strong and resilient rural communities through economic development.
How Canadians can get involved
- Canadians can help by completing a quick Internet speed test.
- In addition to completing the Internet Speed Test, we welcome your feedback via email about Internet service availability. Our National Broadband map provides a useful tool to see internet coverage, projects under way and providers available in your area.
How Internet service providers (ISPs), municipalities, Indigenous organizations and communities can get involved
- Verify the coverage information on our National Broadband Map
- Is your organization considering applying for a project under the Universal Broadband Fund? Before the process is launched, submit your proposed project area(s) using our feedback form and we will get back to you about existing services in the area to help you refine your final proposal.
- Participate in a brief survey : we are seeking feedback from non-applicants to assist ISED's Audit and Evaluation Branch to evaluate our two existing programs: Connecting Canadians and Connect to Innovate. Your feedback will help inform the design of the new program.
Other sources of available funding
Develop your infrastructure. Apply to the $750 million fund to provide fixed and mobile wireless broadband Internet access services — deadlines vary.
Access $1 billion committed in Budget 2019 to partner with CIB and the private sector for new broadband infrastructure.
Learn more about the Investing in Canada Plan: Rural and Northern Communities Infrastructure.
The Accelerated Investment Incentive is supporting new private sector investments in rural high-speed internet.
National plan for broadband
Rural economic development
An outline to support the sustainability of remote, rural and Indigenous communities in the digital age.
Canada's Connectivity Strategy
Our plan to connect Canada from coast to coast to coast.
Internet coverage in your area
Use our interactive map to see coverage, projects under way and providers available to you.
Connect to Innovate
Applications are no longer being accepted. Funds support infrastructure projects that provide high-speed Internet in rural and remote communities. Find out what's been announced and is now under way.
Applications are no longer being accepted. Funds help households in rural and remote areas get access to high-speed Internet and participate in the digital economy. Find out what's been announced and is now under way.
- Date modified: