Biomanufacturing: Advancing life sciences industry in Canada
Biomanufacturing in Canada
Ensuring access to critical vaccines, therapeutics and other health products is a priority for the Government of Canada. At the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Canada took early and decisive action to strengthen Canada's biomanufacturing capacity to protect Canadians. We continue to invest in domestic biomanufacturing capabilities and secure medical countermeasures.
Find out why domestic biomanufacturing is important for Canada
Learn more about the Biologics Manufacturing Centre
Find out about current biomanufacturing projects in Canada
Advancing the life sciences industry
Since March 2020, the government has taken a multifaceted approach including over $1 billion in advance purchase agreements to secure a domestic supply of up to 429 million doses of promising COVID-19 vaccines. The Government of Canada has also committed $792 million through the Strategic Innovation Fund (SIF), to support research and development, clinical trials, and the manufacturing of vaccines and therapeutic drugs to fight COVID-19.
Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada – in partnership with Health Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, and partner departments and agencies – is actively engaging with stakeholders. This engagement is to explore ways that the Government of Canada can support future pandemic preparedness, including through vaccine and therapeutic manufacturing in Canada.
What We Heard Report
Results of the consultation on biomanufacturing capacity in Canada
Browse through a selection of biomanufacturing related videos and articles
COVID-19 health product industry
Information for health product manufacturers and distributors in relation to COVID-19
- Backgrounder – Government of Canada investments in biomanufacturing, development of COVID-19 vaccines and therapeutics, and research
- Government of Canada announces agreement with leading COVID-19 vaccine developer Moderna, Inc. to build mRNA vaccine facility in Canada
- Major investments in domestic firms to rebuild Canada's biomanufacturing sector
- Federal, Provincial and Territorial Ministers discuss rebuilding biomanufacturing in Canada
- New support to produce COVID-19 vaccines and treatments in Canada
Do you have questions? Contact us
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: