OECD working party on nanotechnology
The OECD Working Party on Nanotechnology (WPN) is an intergovernmental forum for policy dialogue and collaboration concerning nanotechnology. Established in March 2007, its mandate is "to advise upon emerging policy issues in science, technology and innovation related to the responsible development of nanotechnology and to elaborate and implement a work program that promotes international co-operation to facilitate research, development and the responsible commercialization of nanotechnology in member countries and certain non-member economies".
The WPN is supported largely through voluntary contributions (financial or direct work) by member countries. It meets regularly to review the progress of its work program, approve new work proposals, and engage in policy dialogue on issues of shared interest. The WPN also organizes international conferences, roundtables, and workshops on policy-relevant topics concerning the development and application of nanotechnology. Canada is an active participant in WPN work. Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada represents the Government of Canada at the WPN, supported by other interested federal departments and stakeholders.
Completed WPN reports and activities include:
- Nanotechnology for Green Innovation (2013)
- Regulatory Frameworks for Nanotechnology in Foods and Medical Products (2013)
- International Symposium on Assessing the Economic Impacts of Nanotechnology (2012)
- Planning Guide for Public Engagement and Outreach in Nanotechnology (2012)
- Fostering Nanotechnology to Address Global Challenges: Water (2011)
- Impacts on Companies, Business Environments, and Policy: A Business Perspective (2010)
- Risk Governance in Nanotechnology Policy Roundtable (2009)
- Policy Roundtable on Fostering International Scientific Cooperation in Nanotechnology (2009)
- OECD Conference on Potential Environmental Benefits of Nanotechnology: Fostering Safe Innovation-Led Growth (2009).
- Nanotechnology: An Overview Based on Indicators and Statistics (2009)
- Inventory of National Institutions for R&D Collaboration in Nanotechnology (2008).
- Inventory of National Science, Technology and Innovation Policies for Nanotechnology (2008).
For more information on the work program of the WPN, please visit the OECD WPN website or contact the Manufacturing and Life Sciences Branch of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
- Date modified: