Language selection


Frequently asked questions

How do I know if a product I purchased is registered for Canada?

All registered terminal products are listed in the Telecommunications Apparatus Register (TAR). You can search the product with various parameters such as the model number or registration number. For details, see DC-01 for labelling requirements.

I have a product that I like to get registered. How can I do it?

Registration of a product requires various steps and documents which are detailed in DC-01. The product must be tested at an ISED approved test lab and comply with Canadian terminal standard. The application can be submitted electronically, using the Equipment Certification Services on the Spectrum Management System website.
Generally, applicants utilize the expertise of Testing Laboratories and Certification Bodies to obtain registration with Canada.

If my terminal equipment has a wireless interface, should the application be submitted at the same time?

Yes, the application must be submitted as a dual application to allow the device to have the same registration as the certification number. See section 4.7 in DC-01

Which procedure provides guidance on submitting a registration application for terminal equipment?

The procedure to apply for terminal equipment registration is DC-01. The Annex A and Annex B forms must be completed and signed. These Annex forms and other required documents must accompany your application.

What documents do we need to submit for Terminal registration?

The requirement for documents varies according to the type of application and services required. Please see Annex C of DC-01 for complete list of documents.

Where can the Canadian technical requirements (standards) for terminal equipment be found?

The list of terminal standards is found on the ISED website.

Is Canadian terminal registration required if the device complies with foreign requirements such as FCC?

Yes, Canadian equipment registration is required. All terminal equipment intended for Canada shall meet requirements of Canadian procedures and technical standards.

Is “IC:” prefix for certification number still acceptable or it should be “ISED"?

As per DC-01, the correct prefix is still “IC:” for the certification/Registration number.

Does ISED choose the Unique Product Number (UPN)?

It's preferable that the client choose the UPN.

What is a UPN?

This is the Unique Product Number which is assigned by the declaring party for registration of DoC. Example: IC:XXXXXXX-YYYYYYYYYYY. The X portion is your company number. The Y is the unique product number (UPN) assigned by the applicant and is made up of a maximum of 11 alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9).

How is Company Number (CN) obtained?

Company numbers can be obtained by creating a new web account through the Spectrum Management System.

  1. Click on “Register a new Web Account for a new or existing Licensee or Certification/Registration clients or Broadcaster”.
  2. Under the Equipment Certification and Registration list, select “New Applicant” or “New Agent Applicant” and then click on the “Next” button.
  3. Fill in the “Web User Information”, “Applicant Information” and “Certification Letter Contact”.
  4. Review the information and then submit your request.

If you already have a web account, you can request additional company numbers.

  1. Login to your account
  2. select “list my application”,
  3. click on the “Add Client”, which is located to the right of your name at the top of the page.
  4. Select “New Applicant” and then the “Next” button.
  5. Fill in the company information and then click on the “Next” button.
  6. Review the information and then submit your request.

ISED will review the company number request and send the contact listed, an email with the account/company number or further instructions depending on the information received. The issuing of a company number may take a couple of days to complete.

Do we need a Canadian Representative?

An applicant who does not have a Canadian address and contact must provide in writing the identity of a contact representative located in Canada who is capable of responding to enquiries and who can provide post-certification audit samples at no charge to ISED. The Canadian Representative must live in Canada.
The requirement is further detailed in DC-01.

If there is more than one model in a family, can all models be submitted in one application?

Yes, all models can be submitted on one registration form. There is a flat registration fee of $750, no matter how many models are listed. Please refer to DC-01 section 6 for details on requirements of family models.

What is multiple listings?

If equipment was previously registered by "company A" and "company B" wants to sell this same equipment using their company name and model number, a new registration number must be issued as the company number would change. In all cases, registration and DoC is required for each and every model separately. See section 8.4 in DC-01.

What is required if we modify our Registered equipment?

The equipment must be tested to the latest issue of CS-03 by a test facility that is accredited and recognized by ISED Canada. You must retain the test results for audit purposes. Registration must be made using DC-01 only if the information in Appendix II has changed. There is no charge for this service.

Date modified: