Trademarks Opposition Board
From: Canadian Intellectual Property Office
Frequently asked questions – Resumed service after COVID-19 interruptions
The trademark expungement proceeding - Guide for self-represented registered owners
Learn about the role and activities of the Trademarks Opposition Board and obtain more information about the opposition proceedings and the section 45 proceedings.
The Trademarks Opposition Board (TMOB) acts on behalf of the Registrar with respect to two types of proceedings: opposition proceedings and section 45 proceedings.
The TMOB comprises of a chairperson, members, hearing officers, a manager and clerks. The chair, members and hearing officers each has delegated authority from the Registrar to conduct hearings and render decisions pursuant to the Trademarks Act and Trademarks Regulations.
The responsibilities of the TMOB with respect to opposition and section 45 proceedings include:
- assessing the initial request;
- corresponding with both parties;
- ruling on various interlocutory matters (oppositions proceedings only);
- scheduling and conducting hearings; and
- rendering decisions.
Decisions and upcoming hearings
The filing of any document, request or correspondence related to:
- domestic (national) opposition and section 45 proceedings; and,
- oppositions to Protocol applications and section 45 cancellation proceedings against Protocol registrations
can be done through the TMOB's E-services.
- TMOB practice notices
- Navigating the changes to opposition and section 45 proceedings
- The trademark expungement proceeding - Guide for self-represented registered owners
- TMOB webinars
- Frequently asked questions
- Frequently asked questions – Resumed service after COVID-19 interruptions
- Common list of authorities for hearings
- Other trademarks practice notices
Select the General Correspondence tab from the main menu
Canada and the United States:
Important: Paper correspondence relating to an opposition or section 45 proceeding must be clearly addressed to the attention of the TMOB as follows:
Attn: Trademarks Opposition Board
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
Place du Portage I
50 Victoria Street
Gatineau, QC K1A 0C9
- Date modified: