Resources for trademarks legislative changes
Canada's modernized trademarks legislative framework has officially come into force enabling Canada to accede to the Singapore Treaty, the Madrid Protocol, and the Nice Agreement.
This page offers resources intended to provide information and guidance on the new processes and procedures that will now apply under the amended Trademarks Act and the new Trademarks Regulations.
For more information about the trademark legislative changes and accession to the international trademark treaties, please refer to Trademarks legislative changes and international treaties.
Trademark practice notices
The trademark practice notices and the Trademarks Opposition Board practice notices are intended to provide guidance on the Canadian Intellectual Property Office practice and interpretation of the amended Trademarks Act and the new Trademarks Regulations.
Trademark information session presentations
Presented in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary ( to )
- Canada's Modernized Domestic Trademark Regime Explained | (PDF: 1.8 MB; 112 pages)
- The Madrid Protocol in Canada: A Summary of the General Principles | (PDF: 1.02 MB; 48 pages)
- Guide to Transitional Provisions of Bill C-31
To ensure the information contained in this presentation remains accurate, slides 31 and 32 have been amended to reflect the legislative changes contained in Bill C-86, which received royal assent on December 13, 2018.
Trademarks Examination Manual
Information on the Madrid Protocol
- International Trademarks under the Madrid Protocol
- Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks
- Summary of the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (1891) and the Protocol Relating to that Agreement (1989)
- Guide to the International Registration of Marks under the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol
- Madrid eFiling – Access to Test Environment
- The Singapore Treaty, the Madrid Protocol and the Nice Agreement, and a Modernized Canadian Trademark Regime — An Overview
- Trademarks Act
- Trademarks Regulations
- Backgrounder on new Trademarks Regulations
Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Date modified: