- Canada celebrates intellectual property and sports innovations on World Intellectual Property Day
[2019-04-26] CIPO is pleased to host a panel and networking reception in the National Capital Region as part of World IP Day.
- Canada’s participation in WIPO’s Digital Access Service: A simple and e-enabled exchange of priority documents
[2019-04-01] This news release provides details on Canada’s participation in WIPO’s Digital Access Service for industrial design applications.
- Canada has acceded to three new trademark treaties
[2019-03-19] Canada has formally acceded to the Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks, the Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks and the Nice Agreement Concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks.
- The Hague Agreement Implementation and Industrial Design Event with Parliamentary Secretary Lametti
[2019-02-27] On December 10, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office held an event featuring panelists from successful and innovative companies with registered industrial designs and IP in robotics and wearable technology.
- CIPO releases its Annual Report 2017–2018: Helping make Canada a global centre of innovation
[2019-02-01] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) Annual Report for 2017–2018 was tabled in the House of Commons on January 30, 2019.
- Patent and trademark agent annual renewal deadline: April 1, 2019
[2019-01-02] Patent and trademark agents have until April 1, 2019 to renew their registration on the register of patent agents and the list of trademark agents.
- Canada continues to move toward ratification of the Patent Law Treaty and modernization of its patent regime
[2018-11-30] News release to announce the launch of public consultations, from December 1 to 31, 2018, on proposed amendments to the Patent Rules (the Rules)
- New Canadian Classification Standard for Industrial Designs
[2018-11-29] On November 5, 2018, CIPO introduced an updated version of its Canadian Classification Standard for Industrial Designs.
- New tools for Canadians to protect their intellectual property on the international stage
[2018-11-05] Canadian companies that protect their creations and ideas are more innovative, enjoy higher growth and create better jobs than their competitors.
- The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) has implemented the classification schema in accordance with the Eighth Edition of the Vienna Classification (VCL)
[2018-10-16] Web page created to inform stakeholders of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office’s (CIPO) implementation of the classification schema in accordance with the Eighth Edition of the Vienna Classification (VCL) of the World Intellectual Property Office and a description of the impact of this update on trademarks
- Publication of the new Industrial Design Office Practice Manual
[2018-09-27] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is pleased to announce the publication of the new Industrial Design Office Practice Manual (IDOP) that will come into force on November 5, 2018.
- Extension of the PPH pilot agreement between CIPO and SIPO
[2018-08-31] That the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) pilot agreement between CIPO and the State Intellectual Property Office of the People’s Republic of China (SIPO) has been extended for three years to August 31, 2021
- Resolved - Technical issues with new printing services-Patents
[2018-08-15] Follow up to the notice posted on 2018-03-28
- Public consultation on the Manual of Patent Office Practice
[2018-07-09] CIPO is conducting a public consultation on proposed changes to chapter 17 of the Manual of Patent Office Practice (MOPOP) relating to pharmaceutical solid forms. The consultation will run from June 8 to June 29, 2018.
- Assistant Commissioner of Patents Agnès Lajoie retires after 34 years at CIPO
[2018-06-28] After a career of 34 years at the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), Agnès Lajoie, Assistant Commissioner of Patents and Director General of the Patent Branch, will be retiring on June 29.
- Canada takes an important step toward Hague accession and a modernized industrial design regime
[2018-06-27] Today, the Government of Canada published new Industrial Design Regulations (the Regulations) in the Canada Gazette, Part II. Finalizing the Regulations is an important step toward Canada's accession to the Hague Agreement and the modernization of Canada's domestic industrial design regime.
- Upgrade to "Enter a New Name on the List of Trademark Agents"
[2018-06-19] The online service pertaining to “Enter a New Name on the List of Trademark Agents” has been upgraded on June 19, 2018 to ensure a high level of web accessibility is applied consistently across Government of Canada websites and web applications.
- ePCT and PCT-SAFE
[2018-05-31] Applicants interested in electronically filing international patent applications under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) can prepare files using either ePCT or PCT-SAFE, both of which are created and provided free of charge by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- Launch of Public Consultations on the new Industrial Design Office Practice Manual
[2018-05-28] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is conducting public consultations on the new Industrial Design Office Practice Manual (IDOP). Canadians are encouraged to provide feedback between May 28, 2018 and June 27, 2018.
- Women take the stage at the Canadian Intellectual Property Office
[2018-04-26] Celebrations for World Intellectual Property Day 2018!
- Revised chapters of the Manual of Patent Office Practice released
[2018-04-16] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) has revised several sections in chapters 1–3, 13, 17 and 23 of the Manual of Patent Office Practice (MOPOP).
- Technical issues with new printing services-Patents
[2018-03-27] Article explaining that, due to technical issues, commencing with patents that will be issued on April 3rd, 2018, all granted patents will be issued as single-sided documents.
- #ExportYourIP Twitter chat: Protecting your IP abroad
[2018-02-23] Are you planning on doing business abroad? Join us for our #ExportYourIP Twitter chat with the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service on March 13, 2018 from noon to 1 p.m. (EDT). Your intellectual property (IP) is a valuable asset that can support your business expansion abroad. We will discuss the importance of protecting your IP internationally and the best practices when dealing with the United States (U.S.), China, India, and the European Union (EU).
- CIPO strengthens relationship with Intellectual Property India and expands toolkit for protecting IP abroad
[2018-02-23] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for cooperation on intellectual property (IP) with Intellectual Property India’s parent department, the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Updates to the PCT Applicant’s Guide – National Phase – National Chapter
[2018-02-23] On January 23, 2018, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office's (CIPO) National Chapter of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Applicant's Guide was updated.
- Date modified: