Become a registered trademark agent
To become a registered trademark agent, you need to demonstrate how you meet the eligibility requirements to write the qualifying exam and you need to pass the qualifying exam (held once a year). See details under Eligibility.
To be eligible to write the exam, you need to:
- Apply by the deadline published in our latest notice
- Demonstrate how you meet the requirements, set out in section 18 of the Trade-marks Regulations.
Send your request to sit for the exam, include information on how you meet the requirements, any special accommodation requests, the prescribed examination fee ($400), and the CIPO fee payment form by fax to 819-953-CIPO (2476) or addressed to:
Registrar of Trademarks
Place du Portage l
50 Victoria Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0C9
Please note that we accept applications sent by either fax or mail. We do not accept applications received by email.
The examination fees will only be refunded if you have applied to write the examination and later have been notified that you passed a previous examination. In this instance, you must request the refund within 30 days of receipt of that notification.
- Candidate guide to writing the exam
- Trade-marks Act and Trade-marks Regulations
- Request to enter a new name on the list of trade-mark agents
- Archived versions of previous trade-mark agent exams
Reports on previous exams
For enquiries relating to the administration of the patent agent and trademark agent examinations, please email IC.CIPOAgentExams-OPICExamenAgent.IC@canada.ca.
- Date modified: