Apply for a trademark registration
Follow the step-by-step process to file your new or revised trademark application.
With this online service, you can file a new and revised trademark application. Upon payment of the prescribed filing fees, you will immediately receive your application number.
Important Notice: Enhancements in entering the statement of goods and services
You can now select pre-approved goods and services from the CIPO Goods and Services Manual when filing your trade-mark application online. For more details, please review the Updates to Trademarks online tools page.
1. Before you apply
If you haven't already done so, we suggest that you consult the following information before starting your application:
- A Guide to Trademarks
- Trademark Application Process
- Consult the List of Trademark Agents if you wish to hire a registered trademark agent for assistance.
- Search trademarks using the Canadian Trademarks Database.
- Use The Goods and Services Manual to search for acceptable goods and services expressions in Canada for trademark applications.
2. Application Requirements
A trademark application must contain the following minimum requirements to receive a filing date and application number:
- the name and address of the applicant
- a representation of the trademark (such as a drawing), unless the trademark consists solely of a word or words
- the goods or services that the trademark will be or has been used for
- either a statement indicating the intention to use a certain trademark and how that use will occur or the date of first use of the trademark in Canada, whichever is applicable
- the application fee (see Tariff of Fees, Part I-Filing, Item 1)
3. After you apply — Filing a revised application
You may be required to file a revised trademark application following an examination report.
- Use the revised form only if you previously filed a trademark application and have a CIPO filing receipt.
- Do not use the form for revised applications for the Trademarks Opposition Board.
- Certain application changes are not allowed. Check which changes are allowed by reviewing Sections 31 and 32 of the Trade-marks Regulations.
4. Access the online forms (mandatory login)
- The online service is located on a secure server on the Industry Canada website.
- To create a new username and password or update your existing registration, go to My Industry Canada Account.
- Payments can be made by credit card or by CIPO deposit account.
- Do you have questions about the new online system?
Complete the Technical Problem Report form.
- Date modified: