Filing a new or revised trademark application
Follow the step-by-step process to file your new or revised trademark application.
Welcome to the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) Trademarks e-Filing service.
With this online service, you can file a new and revised trademark application. Once you have paid your filing fees, you will immediately receive your application number.
Important Notice: Enhancements in entering the statement of goods and services
You can now select pre-approved goods and services from the CIPO Goods and Services Manual when filing your trademark application online. For more details, please review the Updates to Trademarks online tools page.
1. Before you apply
If you have not already done so, we suggest that you do the following before you start your application:
- Read A Guide to Trademarks.
- Review the trademark application process.
- Consult our list of trade-mark agents should you wish to hire a registered trademark agent to handle your file.
- Search trademarks using the Canadian trademarks database.
- Use The Goods and Services Manual to search for acceptable goods and services terms in Canada for trademark applications.
2. Application requirements
A trademark application that has the following will get a filing date and application number:
- the name and address of the applicant;
- a representation of the trademark (such as a drawing), unless the trademark is just a word or words;
- the goods or services that the trademark will be or has been used for;
- either a statement of your intention to use the trademark or the date of when you first used the trademark in Canada;
- the application fee (Part I — Filing, Item 1).
3. After you apply — Filing a revised application
You may have to file a revised trademark application after an examination report.
- Use the revised form only if you have already filed a trademark application and have a CIPO filing receipt.
- Do not use the form for revised applications for the Trademarks Opposition Board.
- Certain application changes are not allowed. Check which changes are allowed by reading sections 31 and 32 of the Trade-marks Regulations.
4. Find our online forms (you must log in)
Login to the Trademark e-filing application
- The online service is on a secure server on the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada website.
To create a new username and password or to update your existing registration, go to My ISED Account.
If you are an agent...
If you are a new user of this system, you will need to activate your ISED username by contacting the Formalities section by telephone at 819-997-2590 or by facsimile at 819-953-2476.
It is important to provide the Formalities section with your ISED username exactly as you applied for it. It is case sensitive and must be a precise match.
- You can pay by credit card or by deposit account.
- Do you have questions about the new online system?
Complete our technical problem report form.
- Date modified: