Find translation of searched text
If you are conducting a basic search and are familiar with only one of our official languages (English or French), you can include equivalent terms in the other official language so that you can broaden your search. The “Find translation” option allows you to choose current equivalent terms in either English or French from subject categories provided by the Government of Canada's TERMIUM Plus® linguistic data bank.
Example: Your search criterion is "milk" and you want to include the French equivalent but you do not know what this is.
- Step 1 — Select the search tab called “Find translation”.
- Step 2 — In “Select a search field”, make a selection (please refer below to number 2 in “Important Advice”).
- Step 3 — Enter “milk” in the “Enter search criteria” field.
- Step 4 — Select from the language options in the “Include translation” selection dropdown, i.e. “English to French”, and click on the “Search” button. You will be presented with a page advising that you will link to TERMIUM Plus® and that you alone will be responsible for the criteria selected for your search.
- Step 5 — If you select “No”, you will be returned to the “Find translation” page. If you select “Yes”, you will be presented with a set of subject categories relevant to the word “milk” with appropriate French terms to choose from.
- Step 6 — Select from the list of available terms and click on “Continue”. This will add your selected terms to the original search criterion “milk” in the “Enter search criteria” field and start the search in the Canadian Trademarks Database.
- When you want to use the “Find translation” feature, you should enter a limited number of search criteria and only in one language, English or French. Entering too many criteria may increase the search time and the resulting list of equivalent language terms may also be very lengthy.
- The bilingual search feature will be useful only with the following seven “Select a search field” options: (1) TM Lookup, (2) Trademark Description, (3) Index Heading, (4) Goods, (5) Services, (6) Goods and Services and (7) Disclaimer.
- Date modified: