CIPO Business Strategy 2013 - Inspired by Innovation. Committed to Success.
View as PDF (PDF: 1.1 MB; 2 pages)
A Framework for Action
Details of A Framework for Action
More information can be found in the Business Strategy 2012-2017.
Our leadership and expertise in intellectual property support creativity, enhance innovation and contribute to economic success
- Providing greater certainty in the marketplace through high-quality and timely IP rights
- Fostering and supporting invention and creativity through knowledge sharing
- Raising awareness to encourage innovators to better exploit IP
- Helping business compete globally through international cooperation and the promotion of Canada's IP interests
- Administering Canada's IP system and office efficiently and effectively
Strategic Pillars – in support of our mission
- Access to Innovative Knowledge
- Modern IP Framework
Enabling Pillars – in support of our mission
- Highly Skilled Workforce
- Responsive IT Infrastructure
- Operational Excellence
Message from the Chief Executive Officer
Business Strategy Update (2013-2014): From Vision to Action
I am pleased to present the annual update of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) Business Strategy that was launched in 2012 with a five-year horizon. We have had a very good first year.
It was a year of discovery as CIPO embarked on an ambitious path articulated in our new vision: Our leadership and expertise in intellectual property support creativity, enhance innovation and contribute to economic success. The foundation to deliver on this vision is now soundly laid.
This vision signalled the convergence of two critical realities:
- One, that economic prosperity in a global economy is driven by new ideas and knowledge-based industries, and the value of many Canadian firms increasingly depends on their intangible assets, including patents, trademarks, copyright, and industrial designs.
- Two, as intellectual property (IP) rights encourage new knowledge and innovation, CIPO has a key role to play in supporting the government's overall agenda of improving Canada's growth and enhancing our economic competitiveness. What we do and more important how we do it supports innovators directly. The speed, quality, efficiency and effectiveness of the administration of Canada's IP system can affect whether or not ideas are successfully commercialized and brought to market.
We had the great opportunity to meet with innovators—our customers—across Canada to understand their needs, their expectations and the barriers they face in effectively using and leveraging IP to support their business goals. These insights on the requirements of innovators and the innovation cycle in which they operate are now driving CIPO's priorities and performance goals.
We have also engaged other key players in the innovation cycle—universities, colleges, incubators and accelerators—to comprehend better their particular needs and what role CIPO can play in supporting the commercialization of ideas and improving brand value. Many of the themes raised by those that CIPO has met with were echoed by a Parliamentary committee that heard from over 50 expert witnesses for its report on the IP regime in Canada. Recommendations specific to CIPO's business centered on the need for quality, timeliness, reduced red tape, supporting international business activity, and more concerted awareness and outreach efforts to enable innovators to make better informed decisions about where and when to file and what options are available to them.
Over the last year, I was equally struck by the level of personal commitment CIPO employees have for the vision and the values we espouse as trusted partners in building an innovative Canadian economy, as proud employees of CIPO, and as individuals who value diversity and show respect for each other and customers.
This discovery year confirms the path we have taken and we will continually refine our approaches with your feedback. While we have learned a lot, we have also accomplished a lot:
- Continuous improvement efforts resulted in a material reduction in turnaround times throughout CIPO.
- CIPO made progress in reducing its inventory of unexamined applications and productivity continues to trend upwards.
- Nearly 200 small and medium-sized enterprises were engaged in roundtable discussions across Canada.
- A customer segmentation framework was developed that will allow CIPO to more easily identify the needs of innovators.
- CIPO's IP case studies were evaluated and an action plan was implemented with a view to better serve the education community through improved delivery mechanisms.
- Regulatory packages were developed that are designed to reduce administrative complexity and better reflect modern business practices.
- Several Patent Prosecution Highway pilot projects were extended, increasing the benefits of work sharing.
- A Centre of Expertise was established to assist managers with change initiatives and support the workforce in being more adept and thriving in times of change.
- A new e-service offering was launched that allows CIPO clients to view their payment transaction history online.
- A Business Improvement Services Centre of Expertise was created to support Lean activities that create operational efficiencies and value for our customers.
Going forward, CIPO will continue to deepen its commitment to supporting customers and business success. In the coming year we will undertake the following activities:
- Take concrete actions to reduce application turnaround times while maintaining or improving product quality.
- Continue to modernize our regulatory framework so that it reduces red tape, becomes more responsive to CIPO's customers and better reflects modern business practices.
- Align ourselves with international IP systems and practices to better serve businesses that operate on a global stage.
- Continue to modernize our Information Technology (IT) systems to ensure that our tools are responsive to both our workforce and customers.
- Continue to improve our workforce by making learning opportunities more accessible while encouraging employee engagement and recognition.
- Continue connecting with customers and those in the innovation cycle to ensure that we continually understand and are responsive to their evolving needs.
I invite you to take a look at the CIPO Business Strategy roadmap that shows what we have accomplished as well as the concrete steps we will be taking this year and beyond to reach our vision.
We are inspired by innovation and committed to success.
Commissioner of Patents, Registrar of Trademarks and Chief Executive Officer
Initiative Timelines - Pillars and Goals
View full size image.
Details of Initiative Timelines - Pillars and Goals
Activities started in 2012-13 are emphasized
To understand the needs of customers and their requirements to innovate.
|Understanding Our Customers||Client and Stakeholder Consultations||Q1 2012-13 to Q4 2013-14|
|Customer Relationship Management (CRM)||Develop a CRM Strategy||Q1 2014-15 to Q1 2015-16|
|Targeted Outreach||Develop and Improve Products and Tools for Innovative Businesses and Post-secondary Institutions||Q3 2012-13 to Q4 2014-15|
|Improved Two-way Communications||Develop Social Media Presence||Q1 2012-13 to Q1 2015-16|
|Promotion of CIPO||CIPO Web Renewal||Q1 2012-13 to Q4 2015-16|
|Develop and Implement External Communications Strategy||Q1 2014-15 to Q3 2016-17|
Access to Innovative Knowledge
To be recognized as a valuable contributor of technical and business knowledge throughout the innovation cycle.
|Identify Users of Innovative Knowledge||Analysis of User Types and Needs||Q1 2012-13 to Q4 2012-13|
|Develop Focused Strategy to Meet Customer Priorities||Q1 2013-14 to Q3 2013-14|
|Continuous Engagement with Target Audience(s)||Q4 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
|Improve Access to Innovative Knowledge||Improve Accessibility of IP Data Online||Q4 2012-13 to Q4 2016-17|
|Open Data Readiness||Q3 2013-14 to Q2 2014-15|
|Open Data Roll-out||Q3 2014-15 to Q2 2016-17|
|Develop Search and Share Capabilities||Improve Functionality of Online Databases||Q2 2014-15 to Q2 2016-17|
|Build Value-added Analysis and Products||Develop and Implement Value-added Products and/or Services for Target Audience(s)||Q4 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
|Leverage Partnerships for Knowledge and Dissemination||Increase Dissemination of CIPO's Data Holdings Internationally||Q3 2013-14 to Q4 2015-16|
Modern IP Framework
To enhance commercial success of Canadian businesses by ensuring that all aspects of the IP administrative and regulatory framework support innovation and competitiveness, increase clarity and certainty, and reduce red tape.
|International Harmonization||Policy Development for International Harmonization and IP Modernization||Q1 2012-13 to Q4 2016-17|
|Regulatory Modernization and Red Tape Reduction||Regulatory Packages to Support Performance Improvement Plans (1)||Q1 2012-13 to Q2 2014-15|
|Regulatory Packages to Support Performance Improvement Plans (2)||Q3 2014-15 to Q4 2016-17|
|Renewed International Roadmap||Implementation of International Roadmap||Q4 2012-13 to Q4 2016-17|
|New Policy and Program Initiatives||Implement Medium-term Policy Research Agenda||Q1 2012-13 to Q4 2016-17|
|Examine Third Party Observations (Prior Art)||Q1 2013-14 to Q4 2015-16|
Highly Skilled Workforce
A workforce that understands the commercial and social benefits of IP on the innovation plan and contributes to the economic success of Canada.
|Build Capacity||Develop Framework and Approach to Establish and Identify Key Competency Profiles||Q2 2012-13 to Q4 2013-14|
|Develop Approach to Design Career Path||Q2 2014-15 to Q1 2015-16|
|Employee Engagement/Employer of Choice||Prepare IP Awareness Sessions||Q2 2012-13 to Q3 2012-13|
|Deliver IP Awareness Sessions to Employees||Q4 2012-13 to Q4 2013-14|
|Change Leadership||Establish Change Leadership Centre of Expertise, Develop Approach and Integrate Change Leadership in Branches and Business Strategy Pillars||Q1 2012-13 to Q2 2014-15|
|Change Leadership Training for Management and Employees||Q1 2012-13 to Q4 2014-15|
|Learning-based Organization||Develop an Integrated Talent Management Initiative||Q1 2012-13 to Q3 2012-13|
|Identify and Build Future Leaders by Investing in Talent Management, Leadership and Learning||Q3 2012-13 to Q4 2016-17|
Responsive Information Technology Infrastructure
CIPO has responsive information technology (IT) systems that support CIPO's ability to encourage innovation and respond to the IP community's business needs.
|Transition to a Modernized Set of Industry-proven Technologies||Evaluate OHIM/TM 10 Solution||Q2 2012-13 to Q4 2012-13|
|Evaluate Document Management Solutions||Q4 2012-13 to Q1 2013-14|
|Document Management||Q2 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
|Process Automation||Q3 2013-14 to Q2 2017-onward|
|Correspondence Generator||Q1 2014-15 to Q4 2017-onward|
|Business Intelligence||Q1 2014-15 to Q4 2017-onward|
|Improve Online Customer Experience||Client Relationship Management||Q1 2015-16 to Q4 2017-onward|
|Render eServices WCAG Compliant||Q1 2012-13 to Q2 2013-14|
|Modernize Current Online Channel Capabilities||Q3 2013-14 to Q4 2014-15|
|ePayment System Enhancements||Q1 2012-13 to Q4 2012-13|
|New Online IP Transaction and Information Access||Q1 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
CIPO provides quality IP rights in a timely and cost-effective manner.
|Accountability||Develop Performance Measurement Strategy||Q1 2012-13 to Q1 2013-14|
|Integrated Performance Measurement Reports||Q1 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
|Infrastructure||Develop Activity-based Management Approach||Q2 2012-13 to Q3 2012-13|
|Implement Activity-based Management||Q3 2012-13 to Q2 2015-16|
|Process-based Organization||Develop Process-based Organization Framework||Q2 2012-13 to Q4 2013-14|
|Become a process-based Organization||Q4 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
|Lean Processes||Vision and Planning||Q1 2012-13 to Q3 2012-13|
|Lean Employee Training Program||Q2 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
|Lean Methodology Implementation (Key Processes and Support Functions)||Q3 2012-13 to Q4 2016-17|
|Quality Management System||Develop Quality Management Framework||Q4 2012-13 to Q4 2013-14|
|Implement Quality Management System||Q4 2013-14 to Q4 2016-17|
- Date modified: