Updates to the trademark online services
CIPO is making progress towards modernizing Canada's intellectual property framework. The online services pertaining to trademark e-filing, e-registration and e-renewal were updated on May 29, 2017, in anticipation of upcoming legislative changes related to Bill C-31 (Economic Action Plan Act, No.1).
Take a look at the Trademarks legislative changes and international treaties web page for more details on our progress.
Upcoming changes include
- Trademark e-filing—changes in effect May 29, 2017
- Trademark e-registration and e-renewal—changes in effect May 29, 2017
The trademark e-filing online service will be amended to allow our clients to submit requests to group goods or services according to the classes of the Nice Classification for trademarks with a “Registered” status.
- A new transaction that will allow the user to group the goods or services according to the classes of the Nice Classification for trademarks with a “Registered” status.
- If you have filed your application prior to January 1, 2017 and choose to submit a revised application, you may now choose to continue using the previous edition of the Nice Classification or you may choose to use the 11th edition of the Nice Classification.
- The application form will be redesigned to improve the clarity of the information submitted.
Trademark e-registration and e-renewal
The e-registration and e-renewal online services will comply with the Standard on Web Accessibility of the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat.
- Date modified: