Improvements to CIPO patent search tools and databases
Quicker access to improved patent information now available from public search tools!
We are pleased to offer clients access to higher quality information from the Canadian Patents Database, as well as faster search results from the Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents database.
These changes are in direct response to client feedback, and are made possible by a new search engine platform. Updates to the patents search databases are the beginning of more improvements to come in our digital service delivery, as part of our commitment to service excellence.
What does this mean for innovators and intellectual property professionals?
You now have more search options when searching in the Canadian Patents Database, allowing you to obtain more complete information on patents. On the patent summary pages you can now:
- Select the new "Owners on Record" tab to view current and past patent owners associated with a patent application from time of filing to time of grant. Previously, only current owners were identified.
- Select and view the new "Description" field, which contains comprehensive information about patents granted from 1978 to present, in the language in which they were submitted. Previously, only English and French abstracts were available.
- Use a keyword search and find highlighted instances of specific patents in all data from 1978 to present, with new data available on patent descriptions.
- View the "Forecasted Issue Date" from the "Admin Status" tab, if it is available. This date is only available after the final fee is paid.
From the Canadian Patents Database's "Advanced Search" page you can now:
- Choose from two new options within the "Text Field" drop-down menu: the new "Description" and "Owners on Record" search criteria allow you to search fields.
- The help guides on the Canadian Patents Database page are updated to provide assistance with searches.
After consulting the help guides available, please contact our Client Service Centre if you have any further questions about searching in the Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents or the Canadian Patent Database.
Your feedback continues to be integral to our digital service improvements, so please use the Provide feedback link found at the bottom of each of the patents databases search pages.
- Date modified: