Language selection


Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in Australia

From: Canadian Intellectual Property Office

View as PDF (PDF: 1.7 MB; 13 pages)

On this page

Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in Australia

Intellectual property (IP) is a valuable asset that can support your business expansion abroad. A Canadian patent, trademark or industrial design does not secure your rights outside Canada. You should consider obtaining IP protection in the countries where you plan on doing business, including selling products online or manufacturing products overseas.

Canada and Australia have a long-standing trading relationship that continues to strengthen. It is therefore important to know how to recognize, register and enforce your IP rights in Australia.

In Australia, you can apply for trademark, patent, design, copyright and plant breeder's rights protection.

Where is IP registered?

IP Australia (Australia's IP office) is the Australian government agency responsible for granting patents, trademarks, designs and plant breeder's rights.

Applications for IP rights can be filed electronically through the IP Australia website. A good first step is to search existing IP to check whether anticipated IP use may conflict with or infringe on someone's prior rights. A Canadian IP professional may be able to coordinate work with an IP professional in Australia.




Plant breeder's rights

IP enforcement

There are several ways to enforce your rights against unauthorized use of your IP in Australia:

Tips: Important notes

*The information provided above is meant as an educational resource only and should not be construed as legal advice.

To obtain a copy of this publication, or to receive it in an alternate format (Braille, large print, etc.), please fill out the Publication Request Form or contact:

ISED Citizen Services Centre
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
C.D. Howe Building
235 Queen Street
Ottawa, ON  K1A 0H5

Telephone (toll-free in Canada): 1‑800‑328‑6189
Telephone (international): 613‑954‑5031
TTY (for hearing impaired): 1‑866‑694‑8389
Business hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)

Permission to reproduce

Except as otherwise specifically noted, the information in this publication may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from the Department of Industry, provided that due diligence is exercised in ensuring the accuracy of the information reproduced; that the Department of Industry is identified as the source institution; and that the reproduction is not represented as an official version of the information reproduced, or as having been made in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of, the Department of Industry.

For permission to reproduce the information in this publication for commercial purposes, please fill out the Application for Crown Copyright Clearance or contact the ISED Citizen Services Centre mentioned above.

Ⓒ Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, as represented by the Minister of Industry, 2020.

Aussi offert en français sous le titre Protéger votre PI en Australie.

Date modified: