COVID-19 and CIPO operations
From: Canadian Intellectual Property Office
The health, safety and security of Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) staff, clients, partners and stakeholders are our top priority. At all times, CIPO will follow the guidance of public health authorities and the Government of Canada.
On this page
- Changes to services and operations
- Actions you can take until services and operations return to normal
- International filing
- Latest service interruption notices
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- COVID-19 resources
Changes to services and operations
We are open, but you should expect delays
CIPO is open and in operation, but you should expect delays in CIPO services. The Client Service Centre has resumed its intellectual property document order service. Clients should expect delays in the processing of their requests as we work to fulfill orders in the backlog.
Most deadlines are extended
Most deadlines that fall between , and , are extended until . This designation is in addition to the previous designations of the days in the period beginning on , and ending on . This period could be extended.
Actions you can take until services and operations return to normal
Use our online services for all your transactions
Use our online services for your transactions with CIPO. They are safe, secure and available on a 24/7 basis, except for scheduled maintenance periods.
e-services and forms
Send correspondence to the Ottawa and Gatineau offices only
Until further notice, only the Ottawa and Gatineau offices are accepting correspondence.
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
C.D. Howe Building
235 Queen Street, Room S-143
Ottawa, ON K1A 0H5
Gatineau – Open with minimal operations to stamp the receipt of documents
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
Place du Portage I
50 Victoria Street, Room C-114
Gatineau, QC K1A 0C9
CIPO correspondence procedures
Do not send correspondence to the following regional offices until further notice:
- Toronto (151 Yonge Street, 4th floor, Toronto, Ontario)
- Vancouver (Library Square, 300 West Georgia Street, Suite 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Edmonton (Canada Place, 9700 Jasper Avenue, Suite 725, Edmonton, Alberta)
- Montréal (Sun Life Building, 1155 Metcalfe Street, Room 950, Montréal, Quebec)
Trademark applicants or their appointed agents can use CIPO's online e-filing service
Use the e-filing service to respond to office correspondence (such as examiner's reports) without having to amend any information in the application.
How to use the e-filing service to respond to office correspondence:
- Log in to your Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada account.
- Click the "Amend a previously filed application" link.
- On the "Closing details" page of the particular application, enter a response manually as text or by attaching a file (in PDF or .doc[x] format).
- Confirm, and add the amendment transaction to your cart.
- Proceed as you normally would when sending an amended application.
Note: There is no fee to file an amended application.
Meet time-sensitive deadlines
Most deadlines that fall between March 16, 2020, and June 12, 2020, are extended to June 15, 2020. However, since CIPO is still open for business, if you can act before that date, we encourage you to do so.
To ensure continuity of service, our online solutions remain available. CIPO will also accept and date-stamp all documents and payments received at our Ottawa and Gatineau offices. We encourage you to use online services to reduce impacts on mail and courier delivery.
Please see our correspondence procedures for more details.
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is open for business and continuing operations under the following:
- Patent Cooperation Treaty
- Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks
- Hague System for the International Registration of Industrial Designs
WIPO has compiled information on measures adopted by intellectual property (IP) offices in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, such as the extension of deadlines.
Latest service interruption notices
- May 26, 2020 – Important update on CIPO operations and services
- May 26, 2020 – Trademarks Opposition Board proceedings
- April 24, 2020 – Reopening Document Dissemination Service
- March 16, 2020 – Service interruption for regional offices
We will continue to work closely with the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and provide the latest updates through our newsletter and our social media channels as the situation evolves.
- CIPO Facebook
- CIPO Twitter
- CIPO LinkedIn
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Patents COVID-19 service interruption FAQs – Updated May 26, 2020
- Trademarks COVID-19 service interruption FAQs – Updated May 26, 2020
- Industrial designs COVID-19 service interruption FAQs – Updated May 26, 2020
- Trademarks Opposition Board COVID-19 service interruption notices – Updated May 26, 2020
- Webinar on patents and the current state of our service
- Managing your business during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Coronavirus disease
- Date modified: