Canada's Regional Development Agencies: Support for businesses during COVID-19
We are taking action
The Government of Canada is taking action to support businesses and workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Canada's regional development agencies (RDA) are the front line for economic development in Canada and help to address key economic challenges by providing regionally tailored programs, services, knowledge and expertise.
On this page
- Canada Community Revitalization Fund
- Tourism Relief Fund
- Jobs and Growth Fund
- Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative
- Aerospace Regional Recovery Initiative
- Regional Air Transportation Initiative
- Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund
- Contact your Regional Development Agency
Canada Community Revitalization Fund
The Canada Community Revitalization Fund (CCRF) is a two-year, $500 million national infrastructure program to revitalize communities across Canada. Not-for-profit organizations, municipalities and other public institutions, and Indigenous communities can apply for funding for projects that aim to:
- revitalize downtown cores and main streets
- reinvent outdoor spaces
- create green infrastructure
- increase the accessibility of community spaces
Tourism Relief Fund
The Tourism Relief Fund is a $500M national program that will help position Canada as a destination of choice when domestic and international travel is once again deemed safe by:
- supporting tourism operators to create new or enhanced tourism experiences and products to attract more local and domestic visitors; and
- helping the sector attract and welcome international visitors while ensuring that safety continues to remain the top priority.
Jobs and Growth Fund
The Jobs and Growth Fund provides financial support to businesses and organizations so that they are able to create jobs and position local economies for long-term growth.
The Jobs and Growth Fund helps job creators and the organizations that support them by:
- supporting the transition to a green economy
- ensuring that the post-pandemic economic recovery is inclusive
- enhancing Canada's competitiveness through digital adoption to improve productivity and manufacturing processes
- strengthening capacity in sectors critical to Canada's recovery and growth
Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative
The Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative (MFESI) is a two-year, $200-million national fund to help major Canadian festivals survive and adapt to the pandemic. To be eligible for funding under the MFESI, organizations must demonstrate an annual revenue exceeding $10 million.
Aerospace Regional Recovery Initiative
The Aerospace Regional Recovery Initiative (ARRI) is a national program that will provide $250 million over three years to help the Canadian aerospace sector emerge from the pandemic and continue to compete on the global stage.
Businesses operating in the aerospace industry, and the organizations that support them through supply chains, are eligible to apply for funding for projects that will:
- help them green their operations and adopt environmentally sustainable practices;
- improve productivity and strengthen commercialization; and/or
- strengthen integration into regional and global supply chains.
Regional Air Transportation Initiative
The Regional Air Transportation Initiative (RATI) will provide $206 million to eligible regional businesses and airports that directly contribute to regional air transportation. RATI is designed to help ensure that regional air connectivity and services, which are critical to economic growth, are maintained and regional routes are re‑connected across the country.
The fund is being delivered by Canada's 7 regional development agencies (RDA).
Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund
The Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund, a $62.5 million fund delivered directly through the:
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency,
- Western Economic Diversification Canada
- Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
It will help businesses access short-term financing to:
- increase storage capacity, and find storage solutions for unsold product
- adapt plant operations, and invest in equipment, services and materials to address challenges associated with COVID-19
- respond to changing markets and consumer needs
Contact your regional development agencies
If you are a tourism operator or small or medium-sized business or organization that has received RDA funding and COVID-19 is affecting your operations, you are encouraged to contact your local RDA office at the number below. Your local RDA office can review your situation and provide guidance.
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
For businesses located in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED)
For businesses located Quebec
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
For businesses located in Southern Ontario
Federal Economic Development Agency for Northern Ontario (FedNor)
For businesses located in Northern Ontario
Prairies Economic Development Canada (PrairiesCan)
For businesses located in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba
Pacific Economic Development Canada (PacifiCan)
For businesses located in British Columbia
Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
For businesses located in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon
The Government of Canada has introduced a number of other support measures. For more information on additional government support available to your business and workers, please visit Managing your business during COVID-19.
- Date modified: