Tourism Relief Fund
The Tourism Relief Fund (TRF), administered by Canada's regional development agencies and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), is a $500-million national program that is part of a broader $1-billion package proposed in Budget 2021 to support the tourism sector in Canada.
The TRF will help position Canada as a destination of choice when domestic and international travel is once again deemed safe, by:
- empowering tourism businesses to create new or enhance existing tourism experiences and products to attract more local and domestic visitors
- helping the sector reposition itself to welcome international visitors, by providing the best Canadian tourism experiences we have to offer the world
Initiatives under this fund will help tourism businesses and organizations:
- adapt their operations to meet public health requirements
- improve their products and services
- position themselves for post-pandemic economic recovery
A minimum of $50 million of the TRF will specifically support Indigenous tourism initiatives. For more information and to apply, contact your regional development agency.
Support for national tourism priorities
ISED will deliver $15 million to support the advancement of national tourism priorities aligned with Canada's Federal Tourism Growth Strategy. These include destination development, seasonal and geographic dispersion, human resources and skills development. This funding will provide the opportunity to leverage the reach and expertise of national tourism organizations to support pan-Canadian or multi-regional activities addressing challenges facing the tourism sector on its path to recovery, like conferences and events, training and research, and strengthening networks. More details will be available shortly.
Contributions to businesses will be either non-repayable (contributions up to $100,000) or repayable (contributions up to $500,000). Not-for-profit organizations and Indigenous organizations (not generating profits) will be eligible for non-repayable contributions.
To find out if your organization qualifies for TRF funding and to apply, visit your regional development agency's web page:
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
For communities in Atlantic Canada
- Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED)
For communities in Quebec
- Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
For communities in Canada's three territories
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
For communities in southern Ontario
For communities in northern Ontario
- Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD)
For communities in Western Canada
Other funding support measures for tourism businesses
- Date modified: