A type approval is granted for a particular class, type or design of measuring device once it has been confirmed that the class, type or design complies with all applicable legal requirements.
Non-compliance with legal requirements
Applications for the type approval of devices received on or after will be subject to Measurement Canada's Non-compliance policy for the type approval process.
Obtaining a type approval
Submit the following:
- technical documentation describing the design, composition, construction and performance of the device,
- user manuals describing the installation and use of the device,
- test results showing the device complies with applicable requirements,
- a completed approval request form, and
- all shipping documentation as described in the Shipping Requirements.
Do not ship your device to Measurement Canada until requested to do so.
Obtaining a copy of a notice of approval
To obtain a copy of a notice of approval:
- Consult the notice of approval database
- Contact the type approval services
Types of approval documents
- Notice of approval:
- A legal confirmation that a measuring device meets applicable regulatory requirements and can be used for trade measurement in Canada.
- Modification approval letter:
- A non-metrological change made to an existing notice of approval.
- Notice of approval revision:
- A minor metrological change made to an existing notice of approval.
- Date modified: