Apply for type approval of gas meters or auxiliary devices
Type approval is granted for a particular class, type or design of measuring device once it has been confirmed that it complies with all applicable legal requirements.
You must apply if you're a manufacturer or importer of a gas meter or auxiliary device to be used in measurement-based trade.
Before you apply
Before you apply, make sure your device meets all applicable approval specifications. Applications submitted for devices that do not meet the approval specifications will be rejected according to the non-compliance policy.
Types of applications
Find out which type of application applies to your device.
- application for a new Notice of Approval: To confirm that a device meets the applicable legal requirements and can be used for trade measurement in Canada
- application for a revision to an existing approval: To confirm that metrological changes to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's Notice of Approval to reflect the changes
- application for a modification acceptance letter (MAL): To confirm that minor changes (typically non-metrological) to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's Notice of Approval to reflect the changes
How to apply
Submit the following with your application:
- technical documentation describing the design, composition, construction and performance of the device
- user manuals describing the installation and use of the device
- test results showing the device complies with the applicable requirements
- additional information required for software controlled gas metering devices
Download, complete and submit the type approval application form.
Issues have been reported with the use of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. If you are using these browsers, the form can still be downloaded by saving it to your computer.
In Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, once you open the PDF, the download button is located in the upper right corner.
Shipping your device
Do not ship your device to Measurement Canada until requested to do so.
Once your application is processed, you will be asked to submit a sample device for testing. Review the shipping requirements before submitting your device.
- Date modified: