Apply for type approval for scales or scale components
Type approval is granted for a class, type or design of measuring device once it has been confirmed that it complies with all applicable legal requirements.
You must apply if you're a manufacturer or importer of a dimension measuring device that will be used in measurement-based trade.
Before you apply
Before you apply, make sure your device meets all applicable approval requirements. Applications submitted for devices that do not meet the approval requirements will be rejected according to the non-compliance policy.
Types of applications
Find out which type of application applies to your device:
- New notice of approval: To confirm that a device meets the applicable requirements and can be used for trade measurement in Canada.
- Revision to an existing approval: To confirm that metrological changes to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's notice of approval to reflect the changes.
- Modification acceptance letter (MAL): To confirm that minor changes (typically non-metrological) to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's notice of approval to reflect the changes.
The following fees apply for a service referred to in subsection 59(1) of the Weights and Measures Regulations provided by an inspector, for each half hour or part of a half hour:
- during the inspector’s regular working hours: $30
- outside the inspector’s regular working hours: $45
For on-site visits, fees may apply for the following:
- expenses incurred by the inspector for accommodation, meals and incidental expenses and for transportation to and from the site (cost of travel)
- expenses incurred to transport test equipment and standards
- time inspector spends to travel to and from the site:
- during the inspector's regular working hours: $30 for each half hour or part of a half hour
- outside the inspector's regular working hours: $45 for each half hour or part of a half hour
How to apply
Submit the following with your application:
- technical documentation describing the design, composition and construction of the device
- user manuals describing the installation and use of the device
- test results showing the device complies with the applicable requirements
Download, complete and submit the type approval application form.
Issues have been reported with the use of Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge. If you are using these browsers, please save the form to your computer by:
- right clicking on the link
- selecting “Save target as”
- selecting the Save button
If you still have problems downloading the form, please request a copy by email.
Shipping your device
Do not ship your device to Measurement Canada until requested to do so.
Once your application is processed, you will be asked to submit a sample device for testing. Review the shipping requirements before submitting your device.
- Date modified: