PS-E-17 – Provisional specifications for the approval of type, verification and sealing of electricity meters with remote display modules
Document(s): LMB-EG-07; S-E-03; S-E-06; S-EG-02; S-EG-05; S-EG-06 and E-30
Table of contents
- 1.0 Scope
- 2.0 Authority
- 3.0 References
- 4.0 Terminology
- 5.0 Approval requirements
- 6.0 Verification requirements
- 7.0 Sealing requirements
- 8.0 Installation and use requirements
These provisional specifications apply to electricity meters designed with a display module that is physically separated from the measurement module and that performs no processing to derive legal units of measure (LUMs). All sensing, processing, registration and storage of LUM data occurs within the measurement module which has no integrated display.
These provisional specifications are issued under the authority of section 12 of the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act.
- LMB-EG-07 – Specifications for Approval of Type of Electricity Meters, Instrument Transformers and Auxiliary Devices
- S-E-03 – Specifications for the Installation and Use of Electricity Meters – Input Connections and Ratings
- S-E-06 – Specifications for the Approval of Type of Electricity Meters and Auxiliary Devices – Amendments to Measurement Canada Specification LMB-EG-07
- S-EG-02 – Specifications for Approval of Physical Sealing Provisions for Electricity and Gas Meters
- S-EG-05 – Specifications for the Approval of Software Controlled Electricity and Gas Metering Devices
- S-EG-06 – Specifications Relating to Event Loggers for Electricity and Gas Metering Devices
- Bulletin E-30 – Policy Decisions and Interpretations Related to Specification LMB-EG-07
A device used to visually present the value of a measured quantity and other relevant information.
- Remote display module
A component of a meter that is physically separated from the measurement module and that provides an indication of measured energy and/or power in legal units of measure and any other relevant information.
- Measurement module
A component of a meter that senses and processes inputs to produce energy and/or power values and other quantities in legal units of measure.
- Verification seal
A seal applied, at the time of verification, to a device that has been found to be in compliance with the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act.
5.0 Approval requirements
In addition to all other applicable approval-of-type requirements prescribed in specifications LMB-EG-07, S-E-06, S-EG-02, S-EG-05, S-EG-06 and bulletin E-30, electricity meters designed such that the sole means of displaying legally relevant measurement data and other meter information such as configuration, firmware version number, hash code, etc., is by means of a remote display, shall also be subject to the following requirements specific to remote display modules.
5.1 Documentation for approval of type
An approval of type application shall include the following information in writing:
- a description of the communication interface between the remote display module and measurement module including, as a minimum, the following:
- the means of connection (wire, wireless, fibre, etc.);
- a description of any software required to exercise the interface; and
- all information required pursuant to S-EG-05 for the communication software.
- identification of the capability and means of programming of the remote display module and/or measurement module, including firmware version numbers and hash codes where applicable.
5.2 Remote display module identification – Nameplate marking
The following information shall be identified on the remote display module nameplate and/or displayed by the remote display module:
- make and name and/or model number of the remote display module;
- Notice of Approval number for the remote display module and measurement module combination;
- approved firmware version and, where applicable, hash codes for the remote display module and measurement module;
- serial number of the remote display module; and
- serial number of the measurement module to which the remote display module is connected.
5.3 Sealing of remote display module terminals
Provision shall be made so that the terminals of remote display modules may be effectively sealed to detect tampering.
6.0 Verification requirements
In addition to all other applicable verification requirements in specification S-E-02, electricity meters designed with remote display modules shall also be subject to the following requirements specific to remote display modules:
- the remote display module shall be connected, inspected and verified with the measurement module with which it will be placed into service;
- where applicable, any required reconfiguration of legally relevant parameters of the remote display module or measurement module shall require reverification of both modules;
- any replacement of a verified remote display is considered to be a verification triggering event which shall require reverification of both the remote display module and measurement module;
- for the purpose of the verification and reverification of the electricity meter installation, the combination of the remote display module and measurement module shall be made available at the test location within close proximity to the test switch(es);
- for purposes of reverification, the verification period of the remote display module shall be the same as the verification period of the measurement module; and
- the inspection certificates shall record the identification of the remote display module and measurement module that have been verified together.
7.0 Sealing requirements
The remote display module shall be sealed or secured in accordance with specification PS-EG-02, bulletin GEN-21, and the meter Notice of Approval, as applicable.
Note: A verification seal is not required to be placed on the connection between the remote display module and the measurement module. Terminals may be sealed by meter owners/contractors at their discretion. The sealing of meter terminals is recommended as a means of increasing the security and integrity of the meter and one or more ancillary devices used in a measuring system.
8.0 Installation and use requirements
Electricity meters designed with remote display modules shall be subject to the requirements of MC specification S-E-03.
- Date modified: