Apply for a type approval of volumetric liquid measuring devices or auxiliary device
Type approval is granted for a particular class, type or design of measuring device once it has been confirmed that it complies with all applicable legal requirements.
You must apply if you're a manufacturer or importer of a volumetric liquid measuring device or auxiliary device before it can be used in measurement-based trade.
Before you apply
Before you apply, make sure that your device meets all applicable approval specifications. Applications submitted for devices that do not meet the requirements will be rejected according to the non-compliance policy.
Types of applications
Find out which of the following types of approval you are applying for:
- application for a new Notice of Approval: To confirm that a device meets the applicable legal requirements and can be used for trade measurement in Canada
- application for a revision to an existing approval: To confirm that metrological changes to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's Notice of Approval to reflect the changes
- application for a modification acceptance letter (MAL): To confirm that minor changes (typically non-metrological) to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's Notice of Approval to reflect the changes
How to apply
Download, complete and submit the type approval application form, along with the following additional documentation:
- technical documentation describing the design, composition and construction of the device
- user manuals describing the installation and use of the device
- test results that clearly demonstrate that the device complies with the applicable requirements
Find out whether your device is eligible to be recognized under an international arrangement and how to apply.
Issues have been reported with the use of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. If you are using these browsers, the form can still be downloaded by saving it to your computer.
In Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, once you open the PDF, the download button is located in the upper right corner.
Shipping your device
Do not ship your device to Measurement Canada until requested to do so.
Once your application is processed, you will be asked to submit a sample device for testing. Review the shipping requirements before submitting your device.
- Date modified: