Apply for type approval of electricity meters
Type approval is granted for a particular class, type or design of measuring device once it has been confirmed that it complies with all applicable legal requirements.
You must apply if you're a manufacturer or importer of an electricity meter to be used in measurement-based trade.
Before you apply
Before you apply, make sure your device meets all applicable approval specifications. Applications submitted for devices that do not meet the approval specifications will be rejected according to the non-compliance policy. Applications may also be rejected if you are unable to respond to requests for samples and information requests within the allotted time (typically 30 days for requests for samples and 7 days for information requests).
Types of applications
Find out which type of application applies to your device:
- application for a new Notice of Approval: To confirm that a device meets the applicable legal requirements and can be used for trade measurement in Canada
- application for a revision to an existing approval: To confirm that metrological changes to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's Notice of Approval to reflect the changes
- application for a modification acceptance letter (MAL): To confirm that minor changes (typically non-metrological) to a device or its components meet the applicable requirements and to update the device's Notice of Approval to reflect the changes
How to apply
Submit the following with your application:
- technical documentation describing the design, composition and construction of the device
- user manuals describing the installation and use of the device
- nameplate, with proper markings, as installed on the device
- test results showing the device complies with the applicable requirements
For any software controlled electricity meter application you must submit the following:
- list of all software modules installed in the meter; identify the version numbers and which modules are legally relevant; provide a justification for designating any software as legally non-relevant
- description of how each version number of the software installed in the meter is displayed, printed or exported
- detailed list of all modifications made to the legally relevant software of the approved meter type
- detailed description of the sealing or securing of all software and legally relevant parameters contained in the meter; if specific software installed in the meter is not secure, explain why
- list of all software residing in the sealed meter that can be accessed by an advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) or automatic meter reading (AMR) module or through a communications port and all means of accessing the software
- description of legally relevant software interfaces and how they interface with the AMI or AMR module, or a communications port, including a description of the commands and data flows via this interface and a statement of completeness
- list of all meter software, registers or programmable parameters that can be modified by an AMI or AMR module or through a communications port
- list of each AMI or AMR module or communications port that can facilitate the modification of software, meter registers or programmable parameters once a meter has been sealed
- list of all legally relevant software and non-legally relevant software (AMI or AMR, non-metrological) that is updatable when the meter is sealed
- list of all parameters that are modifiable when the meter is sealed
- list of all legal units of measure that are provided by the AMI or AMR module and are not already approved in the base meter
- list of all additional functionality (time-of-use, demand reset, pulse recorder, pulse output, etc.) provided by the AMI or AMR module
Find out whether your device is eligible to be recognized under the RT-01 program and how to apply.
Recognition under the RT-01 program
The Recognition of Test Results from ISO 17025 Accredited Test Facilities Program (RT-01) allows you to make a revision to an existing approval with test results from other test facilities recognized under the program. The program is designed to reduce costs and approval wait times.
Only revisions to existing approvals can be recognized under this program. The test results submitted must be from a recognized test facility.
- List of recognized test facilities
To have your device considered under the program, check the RT-01 program box on the type approval application form.
Download, complete and submit the type approval application form.
Issues have been reported with the use of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. If you are using these browsers, the form can still be downloaded by saving it to your computer.
In Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, once you open the PDF, the download button is located in the upper right corner.
Shipping your device
Do not ship your device to Measurement Canada until requested to do so.
Once your application is processed and we are ready to begin testing, you will be asked to submit one or more sample devices for testing. Samples are expected to be delivered to Measurement Canada within 30 days of the request for a sample. Failure to provide the samples within 30 days may result in the application being rejected. Review the shipping requirements before submitting your device.
- Date modified: