GEN-45—Policy for electricity and gas meter population reporting
Information bulletin—Introduction of reporting requirements for electricity and natural gas meters
Issue date: 2017-01-01
Effective date: 2017-01-01
Revision number: N/A
Table of Contents
- 1.0 Scope
- 2.0 Purpose
- 3.0 Background
- 4.0 References
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Policy for meter population reporting
This bulletin applies to electricity and gas meters owned by contractors.
The purpose of this bulletin is to identify the information to be included in the annual meter population report on electricity and gas meters owned by contractors.
During Measurement Canada's trade sector review, it was recommended that the Agency continue to play an active role in monitoring the electricity and gas marketplace sectors.
Measurement Canada's Meter Reporting Program is designed to monitor industry compliance with laws and requirements through the analysis of the inspection information of measurement devices used in measurement-based financial transactions. This allows Measurement Canada to evaluate the overall status of accuracy and equity in the marketplace, detect problems and take appropriate action, and maintain an independent presence in the marketplace in order to contribute to a level of confidence for businesses and consumers.
One of the Meter Reporting Program's points of analysis addresses electricity and gas meter populations owned and used by meter contractors for revenue metering.
Electricity and Gas Inspection Act
Electricity and Gas Inspection Regulations
Any person or body that has undertaken to supply electricity or gas to any purchaser (e.g. utility, town).
Means an electricity or gas meter and includes any apparatus used for the purpose of making measurements of, or obtaining the basis of a charge for, electricity or gas supplied to a purchaser.
6.0 Policy for meter population reporting
6.1 Contractor business information
Each contractor shall provide the following information on its business:
- business name and address
- Measurement Canada registration number
- name and email address of contact person
6.2 Contractor meter information
Each contractor shall provide the following updated meter information at the start of each calendar year, as applicable:
- For electricity contractors, the number of installed meters they own and the number of single phase and polyphase meters whose seal period has expired (meters due for verification or reverification). This information shall be classified as follows:
- single phase meters
- polyphase meters
- multiple customer metering systems or devices (metering points)
- For gas contractors, the number of installed meters they own and the number of meters whose seal period has expired. This information shall be classified as follows:
- diaphragm meters (according to meter capacity)
- ultrasonic meters (according to meter capacity)
- rotary meters
- turbine meters
- fluidic oscillation meters
- orifice meters
- mass flow meters
- pressure factor metering installations
- ancillary devices
6.3 Contractor's reporting responsibilities
Contractors are responsible for:
- supplying the above information using a spreadsheet provided by Measurement Canada.
- submitting to Measurement Canada the completed annual report on meter populations (as recorded on January 1 of the same year) to the email address provided in the spreadsheet by January 31 of each year.
Note: For 2017, the deadline to submit the required information will be extended until April 1, 2017.
- Date modified: