Archived — Catriona Brown
Year: 2012 — Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Nightingale Preschool and Junior Kindergarten Limited
1340 Balmoral Road
Victoria, British Columbia V8R 1L7
Email: Catriona Brown
Website: Nightingale Preschool and Junior Kindergarten Limited
Type of setting: Preschool and junior kindergarten for ages 2.5 to 5.5 years
Philosophy of care
Catriona Brown's daycare centre is a place where imagination and education take centre stage. Built around a growing tree wall with pictures of children and their families, Brown's space features fairy gardens, sunken boats and special playhouses. And when the children read a book, the whole centre undergoes a transformation—from snacks, to the role-play area, to props and costumes.
Support of child development
- Brown and her team prepare reading packs for the children for when they are ready and interested in learning to read. The pack contains a book, information to parents on how to facilitate the child's reading, a word ring with words the child is learning and a reading report to map progress.
- Brown organizes a yearly Festival of Cultures for both children and parents. The event features a variety of activities that allow families to share traditions from their countries of origin and the proceeds go to the centre's foster child in Africa.
- Biscuit, the school's bear, visits a child's home overnight. Dressed up with a backpack and a disposable camera, Biscuit has his photo taken by the child in their home and parents write a short note about Biscuit's evening. The next day, children share their adventure with their classmates and communicate a little about their life at home.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Parents regularly receive newsletter emails from Brown that outline the upcoming school themes and the activities and books related to the theme.
- Brown offers parents a kindergarten information evening to facilitate a network for families with children already attending kindergarten.
- Brown also organizes a graduation party for children heading to kindergarten and hands out progression books and graduation certificates.
- Brown and her team create interactive displays for the walls every six weeks that document with photos and captions what the children have been learned.
While in Tronie's program, [our daughter] regularly displayed enthusiasm, excitement and eagerness for attending pre-school. She simply couldn't get enough.
Our children have loved going to preschool – my youngest follows in his brother's footsteps! In fact, it is a struggle to get him to leave at pick-up time! Once again my husband and I consider it a privilege to have had our children learning and interacting with Tronie at her facility.
- Date modified: