Archived — Janine Guenter, Hailey Kusche and Dana Lynn Thompson
Year: 2012 — Province: Manitoba
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
Shilo Military Family Resource Centre
P.O. Box 5000 Station Main, Building T-114
Shilo, Manitoba R0K 2A0
Phone: 204-765-3000 ext.3342
Email: Janine Guenter, Hailey Kusche and Dana Lynn Thompson
Website: Shilo Military Family Resource Centre
Type of setting: Resource centre/occasional childcare program for children ages 3 months to 12 years
Philosophy of care
Janine Guenter, Hailey Kusche and Dana Lynn Thompson understand the unique environment of being on a military base and tailor their childcare programs to meet families' needs. They quickly become reliable resources for households that rely on a single parent for short to long periods of time.
Support of child development
- Guenter, Kusche and Thompson have developed a literacy program that includes innovative weekly book making using materials like sticks, rocks and goo. And a complimentary literacy library allows the learning to continue at home.
- One of the most popular programs that this trio has developed is the Relaxation Station that helps children talk about their feelings through puppets and other creative games and exercises. The program was designed to allow children to express and deal with the stress they may feel in response to everyday military life.
- Guenter, Kusche and Thompson designed and implemented the Tykes and Trails program, which connects children to nature through adventures, seeking, tracking, hiding and artwork.
- They have also created a Natural Playscape Committee that organizes regular outdoor events and activities and has transformed two playgrounds into Natural Playscapes. The new spaces are inspired by nature and include boulders, plants, forts, water features and birdhouses.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Guenter, Kusche and Thompson organize monthly theme parties where the children get to dress up and let loose with their parents.
- An annual Healthy Family Fair also educates and encourages the community to make healthy choices for mind, body and spirit. The event brings together over 30 organizations and over 100 participants.
- Through programs like Wiggle, Giggle, Munch, Guenter, Kusche and Thompson provide parents with opportunities to bond with their children after work through fun, physical activities and healthy snacks.
- A Super Nannies parenting program provides parents with tools they can rely on as their child gets older.
Dana, Janine and Hailey serve this community with passion, empathy, and an authenticity that's difficult to find in civilian life. It takes a special kind of person to relate to families living the military lifestyle, and these three women excel at it.
These ladies provide programs that support childhood development, family growth and family learning. (…) My children enjoy interacting with these ladies. They have essentially become part of our family.
- Date modified: