Archived — Janet Towers
Year: 2012 — Province: New Brunswick
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Saint John Y Early Learning Centre
223 St. James Street
Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 1W3
Type of setting: Childcare program for children aged 2 years
Philosophy of care
With pages of qualifications, experience and workshops under her belt, Janet Towers constantly strives to find new ideas and new ways of providing hands-on and innovative childcare. She may be busy, but Towers always has time to keep up on what's happening in a child's world – who just got a puppy, and who else has something to tell her about their new baby sister.
Support of child development
- Towers encourages her team to work with each child as an individual to optimize their development at their own pace and promotes play as the way to keep children interested and learning new things.
- Towers ensures that her team has all the resources necessary to be creative, think outside the box and remain up-to-date on emerging curriculum and fresh ideas.
- With children from many different countries, Towers ensures that her team respects and follows the guidelines set forth by parents and encourages that food from the different countries be provided in the centre and discussed with other children.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Parents are welcome in the centre at any time as volunteers or as presenters at show and tell, teaching the children how to knit and bake cookies.
- Children participate actively in community events. They watch the hockey team practice, collect and distribute mittens, and visit the city market each week.
- Towers develops partnerships in the community to enhance the programming. Children get ready for kindergarten through kindergarten readiness classes and have access to speech and hearing clinics when necessary.
Janet's commitment and skill have enriched the learning environment for many of our youngest learners. (…) She is a wonderful role model and I have learned so much about early childhood education from her.
Janet's ability to work together with individuals who represent the non-profit, business and government sectors of our community has made it possible to successfully establish the development of the first Saint John Early Learning Centre.
Co-chair, Saint John Early Childhood Development Coalition
- Date modified: