Archived — Gaye Roberts
Year: 2012 — Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
New Fun Land III (3)
P.O. Box 820, 2 Small Wood Drive
Lewisporte, Newfoundland and Labrador A0G 3A0
Type of setting: Childcare centre for children ages 2 to 12 years
Philosophy of care
Gaye Roberts isn't your typical childcare centre owner. Quickly recognizing the need for affordable and accessible childcare in rural Newfoundland, she now runs seven childcare centres, employs over 50 ECEs and caters to over 400 families … and she still has time to know who needs a new couch, or what children need extra support. And as if that's not enough, Roberts has recently taken on the challenge of opening two preschools in Senegal.
Support of child development
- A firm believer in fitness and physical activity, Roberts ensures that all her centres are equipped with treadmills, balance beams, exercise games, punching bags, skipping ropes and more. And no child is left out; Roberts adapts environments for children with special needs and provides special equipment to promote motor skills and movement.
- Roberts promotes cultural awareness in all her centres and often brings back props or costumes back for the children. Parents are invited to talk about their countries and children learn words in other languages, including sign language. Each year, the centres also celebrate events and holidays from around the world.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Roberts maintains an open door policy at her centres and parents are welcome to come and go at any time.
- Newsletters are sent home for feedback and information and suggestion boxes are in place so that parents can easily voice concerns.
- Roberts organizes regular family events like tea parties, science nights, variety nights, movies, aerobics and much more.
- Roberts promotes community involvement and has children involved in local food drives and recycling depots.
Gaye has a desire like no other to help meet the needs of children worldwide and their families. She is a great inspiration to everyone especially women, single moms and ECEs everywhere. (…) She believes in people and never settles for second best!
Gaye is a person who you can always talk with and in the last two years I have gotten to know that even better; first as a parent and now as an employee as well. (…) My little girl is proof of how Gaye wants every child to be the best they can be, and with her direction through her staff, helps everyone feel the same.
Parent and colleague
- Date modified: