Archived — Elizabeth Jeffery
Year: 2012 — Province: Prince Edward Island
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Little Wonders Child Care Centre
6 Camburhill Court
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1E 0E2
Email: Elizabeth Jeffery
Type of setting: Childcare centre for infants to 5 years olds
The environment is the third teacher.
Along with her colleagues, Elizabeth seems to see a thousand learning possibilities in any material, object or situation. She is dedicated to creating an environment where both students and educators feel motivated to think differently, push further and do better.
Philosophy of care
Innovative, authentic, honest and clearly committed to everything she does, Elizabeth dedicates herself to meeting the children halfway and making a strange place less scary and less overwhelming.
Support of child development
- No culture, no belief and no child are ever left behind when Elizabeth is around – she even learned Spanish to better communicate with the Spanish-speaking children at the centre!
- Elizabeth's door is always open to new ideas and projects and she will go out of her way to help her colleagues make them happen.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Elizabeth builds a relationship with every family member who walks through the door of the centre. She shares ideas, informs them of changes, provides support after hours and holds special events where everyone can come together.
- Through the use of Animoto software, Elizabeth makes sure that educators can create professional-looking slideshows and videos that electronically document child development in a way that is accessible online and from home.
- Every couple of months on a Saturday, and at no cost, Elizabeth hosts a family day where children and their parents are invited to the centre to participate in an activity together.
Elizabeth absolutely loves the children and is like a mother bear protecting her cubs. [My children] absolutely adore her, and when she speaks, they do exactly what she asks of them. She gets down to a child's level and is interested in what they have to say.
She is a seeker; a sponge for new ideas to share and use. In all aspects of her work, with the children, with families, within the community, and as a board member on which she represents the province, Elizabeth strives to find ways to put ideas into action.
- Date modified: