Archived — Shyrose Nurmohamed
Year: 2013 — Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Rise and Shine Montessori
3440 Moresby Drive
Richmond, British Columbia V7C 4G5
Type of setting: Group Child Care Center for 30 months to 5 Years
Shyrose Nurmohamed makes sure that each and every one of her students knows three things about themselves: "I am kind, I am smart, and I am lovable." Shyrose puts her favourite motto into action each and every day, helping her students understand that, "if you can dream it, you can do it".
Philosophy of care
Through careful observation Shyrose tailors activities that suit each child, as an individual. She doesn't adhere to the framework of any specific approach, but rather combines a variety of teaching philosophies that best suit her students.
Support of child development
- As each child begins their journey with Shyrose, parents are provided with a booklet that outlines the education plan and philosophy of the centre. She also interviews parents to better understand the child's personality, likes and dislikes.
- Shyrose develops a "Program of Study" chart for all of her students, which identifies goals and milestones. As each goal is completed, it is documented in a binder that the child can share with his or her family.
- Shyrose calls on the help of her Puff the Giraffe hand puppet to help her talk to her students about their feelings and how to deal with them.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Shyrose is inspired by the cultural holiday specific to each student, and brings in costumes and snacks for her students to wear. This encourages students to discover the similarities and differences between cultures.
- Regularly organizing projects to raise funds for local charities, Shyrose ensures that her students understand the issues behind these fundraising efforts.
- Shyrose was instrumental in the development of a website for the Richmond Childcare Alliance, which allows each childcare centre in the area to have a webpage. The site helps parents find childcare and to be aware of ongoing activities. Parents can even participate in a group Retirement Savings Plan through the group.
- In May 2012, Shyrose was honoured with an award from the British Columbia Ministry of Children & Families for Excellence in Teaching Innovation for Rise & Shine's unique programming, environment and "contributions to quality child care for the children and families of British Columbia."
Once when we were driving around on an autumn day, my son told me about how chlorophyll keeps the leaves green and how the leaves change colour when the chlorophyll dies. It may not be a normal topic for a three-year-old to discuss, but it shows that Ms. Rose understands the innate curiosity of children and exposes them to many subjects.
Not only does Shyrose care for children, she cares about children. She is dedicated to the childcare field and volunteers in many capacities that support quality childcare in Richmond.
Manager, Richmond Child Care Resource and Referral Centre
- Date modified: