Archived — Marilyn Gail Michell
Year: 2013 — Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
A:lmelhawtxw Early Education Centre
9-7201 Vedder Road
Chilliwack, British Columbia V2R 4G5
Website: A:lmelhawtxw Early Education Centre
Type of setting: Aboriginal Head Start Program, Language Nest for 0 to 6 years
Philosophy of care
A respected Elder within her community, Marilyn (Gail) Michell brings Sto:lo First Nations teaching into the classroom with ease and finesse. Her authentic love for the culture radiates through to the children who naturally gravitate to her when she is around. Not only has she mastered the craft of an early childhood educator, she has also mastered the art of being a cultural educator to all.
Support of child development
- Michell teaches in the Language Nest program where the Halq'eméylem language is spoken fluently with the children. In turn, the children speak the language with their families, creating a ripple effect in the community that enthuses every one.
- Under Michell's watch, children and families gain confidence in themselves as they learn more about their culture.
- Michell takes advantage of teachable moments and unplanned interests that her students express. Her planned activities encourage healthy eating, drumming, dancing and play—either outdoors or in the centre's gym.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Michell's continued efforts to connect with parents and families bring her into the community through regular home visits. She also holds regular workshops for the community on a variety of topics.
- Michell and her team organized and hosted a first annual naming ceremony that will honour the new children and their families into the preschool and Language Nest programs.
Gail brings light and laughter to all of us. She is kind and supportive and has a wonderful infectious sense of humour. Children gravitate to her and anticipate her visits. When the children return from Language nest with Gail, they are using Halq'eméylem language and excited about the cultural teachings.
I feel honoured to spend my days with Gail as she is such a positive role model. Her professionalism, integrity and humility are what lead our people with a sense of pride. She has the ability to carry herself in a respectful way; one can only feel a sense of trust and care.
- Date modified: