Archived — Nadejda Vassev
Year: 2013 — Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Urban Academy Junior Kindergarten
101 Third Street
New Westminster, British Columbia V3L 2P9
Type of setting: Junior kindergarten (preschool) for 3 to 5 years
Philosophy of care
Nadejda Vassev's students are on an exciting journey and as they explore the world, the excitement is palpable. Through an adapted approach where the student is the communicator, the teacher is the guide, the parent is the partner and the environment is the third teacher, Vassev ultimately lays the foundation to create life-long learners.
Support of child development
- Vassev uses her skills as a puppeteer to engage her students. She teaches puppeteering by example and then lets the students express themselves as they construct their own puppet plays, creating themes, plots, characters and backdrops.
- Vassev creates stimulating projects that culminate in a special event. When students were exploring music, they created their own instruments out of recycled materials, developed a band, took turns conducting music that they wrote, and performed for audiences. Another project consisted of taking digital cameras out into the neighbourhood for a photo shoot. The activities culminated in a gallery of photos with accompanying stories that was presented to the school community.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Vassev keeps a password-protected blog so that parents can check in daily and see what their child is learning, the art they are producing, and the conversations they've had.
- Family is always welcome in Vassev's classroom. Grandparents are invited to celebrate their culture and to cook meals from their native countries, and new babies make monthly visits.
- Vassev's students participate in the Terry Fox Run and Hope International's Run for Water events. Students also collect toys for Santa's Workshop and participate in "adopting families in need" at Christmas.
I know students feel safe with Ms. Vassev because of their willingness to take risks, share their ideas, express their feelings, and develop their compassion for one another.
Head of School
My son is blessed in being under the care and teaching of Ms. Nadia. As she always says, children are this age only once, we need to make the most of it. I appreciate and cherish each day with my child thanks to her and recognize how influential teachers, parents, friends and our community are to a child's development.
- Date modified: