Archived — Linda Magill
Year: 2013 — Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Carleton Place Childcare Services
3 Francis Street
Carleton Place, Ontario K7C 2J5
Website: Carleton Place Childcare Services
Type of setting: Childcare centre for preschool
Philosophy of care
On the clock or not, Linda Magill always has time to discuss a student, offer advice, or lend an ear. With a keen sense of observation and highly intuitive, Linda Magill thoughtfully addresses concerns and offers reassurance and guidance.
Support of child development
- Magill plans activities based on the interests of her children. One child's interest in space spurred a big project that had the whole class creating planets and eventually a whole daycare solar system! Another project called Knights and Castles included creating shields with emblems, knighting students and learning about Kings, Queens, castles, and more!
- Although her classroom is not very ethnically diverse, Magill nevertheless incorporates Spanish, French and even sign language, into her lessons.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Regular guest speakers give Magill's students a chance to step away from the ordinary. Police officers talk about their roles in the community, librarians speak about borrowing books, and paramedics show off their ambulances and fly by in helicopters.
- Magill carefully observes her students and provides parents with a daily sheet that explains their new skills or some of the challenges they are facing. She also creates a profile book for each child and fills it with photos and developmental checklists.
- On their final day in class, Magill presents students with a CD containing photos of their time with her.
When my son was diagnosed with autism, Linda took it upon herself to teach him to sign and thankfully he picked it up very quickly. It amazed me at how patient she was, always smiling and eager to tell me of his progress. I could not believe how much he adored her and was so eager to see her daily.
Parent and colleague
Linda is extremely concerned with the well-being of her kids and will take note of the smallest of potential concerns like only a mother would do. Throughout [my child's] several illnesses and developmental issues, Linda's care and reassurance has made for smooth sailing.
- Date modified: