Archived — Sandra Dennis
Year: 2013 — Province: Prince Edward Island
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Holland College Early Learning Centre
140 Weymouth Street
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4Z1
Type of setting: Early years centre for 0 to 5 years
Philosophy of care
Sandra Dennis strongly believes that the development of a child is a journey of discovery. Well-regarded in her community, Dennis has a warm heart that shines through in all her initiatives, and has her children running out the door, excited to discover what she has in store for them that day.
Support of child development
- When renovations were underway for an outdoor play space, Dennis collaborated with colleagues and families to create a space that included a slide, a music wall, a fine-motor wall, a sandbox, and flower and vegetable gardens.
- Dennis takes pictures, videos and notes on activities that take place throughout the day which displays children's reactions, interests and dislikes. She uses the material to reflect on how to further adapt their learning and her environment.
- Dennis holds special sessions that allow her students to explore a specially-selected collection of items in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Dennis uses scribble journals in her infant/toddler program that enable her to systemically assess fine-motor skill development.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Dennis works hard to ensure that parents feel welcome. She keeps quick reference sheets for all her children. These sheets allow parents to remain informed about details like nap cycles, meals, and moods. She also organizes monthly Family Fun Nights.
- In addition, Dennis maintains the centre's resource room as a way to continuously keep parents involved. The resources focus on everything from activity bags, a children's library, and information on child development.
- Dennis implemented the Handle with Care program that engages parents through a variety of activities that allow them to get to know each other and learn about their children's learning activities.
Sandra creates unique learning opportunities (like the outdoor music wall) that are developmentally appropriate for infants and always ensures every child is involved and their learning is captured in some way.
Sandra has established a secure, trusting relationship with my son that is as close as our own, and this is clear to us as he runs out the door each morning at the mention of 'going to play with Sandra'.
- Date modified: