Archived — Michelle Dizy
Year: 2013 — Province: Saskatchewan
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
École St. Mary
140 McIntosh Street North
Regina, Saskatchewan S4R 4Z9
Type of setting: Pre-kindergarten program for 3 to 4 years
Philosophy of care
Michelle Dizy's love of learning is contagious because she has fun. In fact, she makes learning so much fun that it becomes difficult to see the difference between playing and learning! In a French immersion pre-school environment, Dizy also has to ensure that her teaching methods are as visual and concrete as possible.
Support of child development
- Dizy records each child's development with pictures and videos. She captures videos and takes photographs of student interactions and learning. Dizy also carries a journal where she jots down her observations and daily anecdotes. She uses this material to report to parents.
- From this material, Dizy creates online e-portfolios for her students using Smilebox (smilebox.com). Parents can e-mail portfolio contents to other family members, print them in a booklet, or even display them in a digital frame.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Dizy invites families into the classroom one Friday a month. She organizes activities to celebrate the diverse backgrounds of each child to better understand their uniqueness. Families are able to nurture relationships with each other and feel more comfortable in getting together outside the centre as well.
- During Family Friday events, Dizy invites guest speakers to talk to families about nutrition, or activities that promote good physical development. She coordinates outings to the museum, library, pumpkin patch, parks, pools and the science centre.
- Dizy also keeps a blog to communicate with parents and keep them informed about school activities.
Ms. Dizy has created an engaging and stimulating learning environment for her students that invites children to explore and follow their interests, and celebrates their curiosity and wonder.
Prekindergarten/Kindergarten Consultant, Regina Catholic Schools
Michelle has a very natural way with the students. She has been gifted with great patience, kindness and above all that, a motherly touch where her love is forever ending with true meaning.
- Date modified: