Ruby Anne Chartrand
Year: 2015 — Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Children of the Future Aboriginal Head Start
114 Main Street
Swan River, Manitoba R0L 1Z0
Type of setting: Pre-school program for Aboriginal children, ages 3 to 5 years
Colleagues describe Ruby Anne Chartrand as loving, caring and patient. She ensures that parents are involved in their children's learning experiences and is seen as a positive role model.
Philosophy of care
Ms. Chartrand emphasizes on developing the whole child by focusing on improving their language skills as well as physical and emotional development through creative play and acknowledging their accomplishments. From tying shoes to zipping coats, she builds the confidence of the children in her care, one day at a time.
Support of child development:
- Helped develop language skills in children who have limited ability to communicate by encouraging involvement in daily activities and using positive feedback to give children confidence;
- Used traditional dance and music as part of her techniques for providing physical development;
- Encouraged independence by showing a step-by-step approach for basic skills and for praising accomplishments.
Involvement with parents, families and the community:
- Offered multiple opportunities for parents to be involved in the classroom and provided recognition, for example a parent providing a snack would be acknowledged and thanked by Ruby Anne and all the children;
- Every month, Ms. Chartrand organizes a special event for her children and their families, such as a family picnic or bike-a-thon;
- Taught basic Salteaux language skills and provides an Aboriginal education component to all her lessons.
Ruby is truly interested in what children have to say. She extends conversation with children to strengthen their confidence in conversational and verbal skills.
- Date modified: