Year: 2014 – Province: Nova Scotia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Dartmouth Day Care Centre
28 Caledonia Road
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B2W 4R4
Type of setting: Child Care Centre for ages 12 months to 5 years old
Caring is at the core of Angela Daniels-Drummond's mandate to bring compassion, empathy and inclusion to her childcare centre. Her professionalism and willingness to listen make her popular amongst parents who seek out her advice on a regular basis.
Philosophy of care
Mrs. Daniels-Drummond offers a very child-centered approach in her education. She has an ability to capture a child's interest and adapt her teaching to promote and recognize the individuality of each child in her classroom.
Support of child development:
- As the Inclusion Coordinator, her expertise and approach towards autism and behavioral issues has made her the "go to" person for both her colleagues and parents;
- Put together activities that stimulated and entertained a child based on his/her individual needs and interests, including purchasing special toys that captured the attention of that specific child.
Involvement with parents, families and the community:
- Introduced a "Seeds of Empathy" program at her child care centre that allows her children to follow a young infant's developmental milestones. The program aims to instill empathy in the children and create a bond between her young students and the community;
- Mentored early childhood educators from Mount Saint Vincent, Dalhousie University and Nova Scotia Community College;
- Worked in the community with children with Autism and developed specialized learning programs for them and their families;
- Introduced an inclusive support group for parents with special needs to share information amongst each other and discuss best practices;
- Organized special events that focus on cultural or spiritual perspectives within the community;
- Leader in the Children's Ministry Program at her local church.
Angela is the most heartfelt teacher that I have come across in the early childcare system. She is a very warm and loving person. She treated my son as if he were her own and instilled the values he needed to be able to help him cope with everyday tasks.
- Date modified: