Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Brother Rice High School
Principal: Francis Whitty
School website: www.celtics.rice.k12.nf.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary technology, chemistry, co-operative education (computer studies)
Prepare students for the competitive world:
- offer the best technological expertise available
- promote lifelong learning skills and critical thinking
- provide opportunities to develop contacts and new skills in the workplace.
Initiated installation of computer network:
- 95 computers in school, all networked with Internet access, including two computer labs, most classrooms and several resource rooms (started with 10 Commodore 64s)
- helped maintenance person with installation and routing of hardware and recruited students to help connect computers.
Instrumental in school's involvement in the STELLAR Schools project and the Enhancing Student/Teacher Learning Through Technology initiative. These programs provide high-speed Internet access to schools and encourage integration of computer technology into teaching.
Involved in creating career development programs:
- Partnerships in Education Regional Employer Database, a database of collaborative employment initiatives between school and community partners
- Computer Studies Co-op Program, student placements with local industry
- Career Information Technology Centre, provides access to career and labour resources on the Web and makes specialized software available.
Designed two advanced chemistry courses with another teacher and a self-paced computer technology curriculum when computers were first introduced to school.
Contributes extensively to staff development with training sessions, open-door policy for advice and Internet workshops.
"His skill, enthusiasm for the development of a positive learning environment in our school, and his dedication to this task have opened so much of an opportunity for students and teachers alike." Fellow teacher
- Date modified: