Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Pontiac Protestant High School
Principal: Margaret Dupuis
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary English and drama
- Use a variety of strategies and clear expectations to develop correct spoken and written communication.
- Inspire students to cultivate clear understanding and love of English, as well as knowledge and proficiency, which are important to personal development.
- Share expertise, assist fellow educators and guide betterment of school services to benefit students.
Developed and delivers innovative language arts programs focussing on communications skills:
- promotes public speaking, student-taught lessons on vocabulary, story-telling, debating, dramatizing novel sections to develop and improve students' listening and speaking skills
- uses effective questioning techniques and a knowledge of students' strengths, weaknesses and personal challenges to draw every member of the class into discussions
- students regularly participate and excel in public-speaking and essay-writing contests. In 1997, one student was the first from Québec in 77 years to win prestigious essay contest.
Extracurricular drama program:
- produces and directs drama festival or school musical every year. Events involve contribution of entire school, elementary school students and members of community.
- builds community spirit, motivation and confidence of all
- offers members of small community rare opportunity to experience arts and theatre
- events raise funds for school improvement and student trips to Europe, Stratford, and the United States, which are usually impossible for disadvantaged rural students.
- Date modified: