Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Hebrew Academy
Principal: Rachel Archibald
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary language arts, mathematics
- Respond to students. "Response is the essence of my teaching _ I respond to the child. This brings out their best, and I respond to that."
- Blending the art and science of learning. "Education of the whole child and integration of curriculum go hand in hand."
Developed, coordinates and delivers Sensitization Program:
- successful program designed to sensitize students to those with special needs, which is an important task of learning community
- features whole-language philosophy, uses themes of friendship, independence and others, and brings together literature, films, writing experiences, discussions, interviews and dramatic presentations to grades 1 _ 6, teachers, parents and community organizations
- expanded to a trilingual program (English, French and Hebrew).
Creates a holistic learning environment to reach the whole child:
- balances discipline and structure with nurturing and caring
- teaches courtesy, independence and decision making, and deals with challenging children and situations consistently, calmly and with humour
- sends a personal letter to each of her students when they graduate in Grade 6 with a sample of their Grade 1 work.
- Date modified: