Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Trafalgar School for Girls
Principal: Geoff Dowd
School website: www.trafalgar.qc.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary math and science
- Inspire a love of, and excitement about, science in young women.
- Share new approaches to teaching, insights, resources and enthusiasms with fellow educators and students.
- Incorporate a wide variety of learning and assessment activities, such as labs, lectures, group work and simulations, to increase student enjoyment and foster a tendency to think and act as young scientists.
Instituted use of new technology as teaching tools, including the following:
- graphic calculator (a visual tool to show mathematical relations)
- geometer's sketchpad (drawing software to assist students weak in geometry)
- spreadsheets (computer-generated graphing software useful in advanced studies)
- SchoolNet (Industry Canada-sponsored Internet project to provide remote teaching resources).
Participates in curriculum design and review:
- member of Science Coordinating Committee, which meets throughout the school year to discuss resources, teaching methodology and strategies
- coordinated team to prepare provincial physics exams
- member of Canadian Educational Standards Review, teams of private school teachers that act as advisory committees for other private schools.
"Gaby combines an absolute passion for math, especially calculus, with a humanity and humour which touches every student. She is just as interested in the _ plodder' as the _ high flyer' and has turned many a mediocre performer into an excellent student." Fellow teacher
- Date modified: