Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Timmins High and Vocational School
Principal: Paul Toffanello
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary social sciences
- Teach students of all abilities with component-based programs that can be adapted to meet different needs.
- Motivate students with hands-on activities that cover many subject areas.
Created Forensic Science _ The Expert Witness, a program for OAC social studies in which students:
- research forensic science
- determine which laws and charges apply to a hypothetical case
- solve problems such as calculating blood alcohol levels
- research legal precedents
- calculate general and special damages
- prepare for and appear as an expert witness in a moot court
- maintain a portfolio on the above work.
Received Roy C. Hill Award from the Canadian Federation of Teachers for the most innovative new teaching program in Canada.
Has also received many other awards, including a Marshall McLuhan Distinguished Teacher Award and a Shell Environmental Leadership Award.
His students have won 11 regional law essay awards and a mock trial sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association, as well as several prizes in the stock market competition sponsored by Wilfrid Laurier University.
- Date modified: