Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Whitney Public School
Principal: Irene Rowe
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary, all subjects
- Practice what you preach; follow through on what you start.
- Use Grade 1 to prepare the children's love of learning and study habits for further grades. It sets the tone for their entire school career.
- Teach children that learning happens everywhere and lasts a lifetime with a variety of experiences inside and outside the classroom and the involvement of home and community.
Developed Grade 1 program to thoroughly prepare children for higher grades:
- arranges pre-entrance interview with students and parents to determine learning style and needs, gives parents an overview of the curriculum and eases the sometimes intimidating transition into Grade 1
- maintains a strong academic program
- introduces groups learning, class presentations and computers to young learners.
Initiates innovative environmental activities:
- organized committee to start environmental garden on school property
- coordinated in-school recycling program and litterless lunch room
- promoted walk-to-school month to highlight clean air issues.
Organized program to make school and staff computer literate:
- evaluated school's needs and organized purchase of computers and multimedia software
- arranged in-service training to ensure effective use of new technology, trained students to deliver in-class training
- publishes school website containing weekly newsletter, classroom activities, lists of homework assignments and individual web pages.
- Date modified: