Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Jeanne Sauvé French Immersion Public School
Principal: Lynne Griffith-Jones
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary English
- Help students connect to the world around them, using a variety of communication methods and styles.
- Help students see themselves as responsible, contributing members of society by participating in Remembrance Day, Black History Month, UNICEF, Environmental Awareness, among others.
Develops or searches out opportunities for students to connect to the world through writing, reading and speaking:
- by the end of the school year, all students see their work read and appreciated outside the classroom
- provides international, national, provincial and regional on-line and print publishing opportunities. An educator in Massachusetts created a website to feature students' work.
- actively promotes writing workshops. School has highest participation in city library writing workshop.
- spearheads programs at school such as Read In! Day and the Silver Birch Reading Program. In 1997, school won regional award for highest pupil participation in Silver Birch Program.
- Reading for information is important, too. Students participate in Great Canadian Trivia Quiz, Canadian Place Name Challenge, reading contests and others.
Organizes and promotes annual Oral Communications Festival, Jeunes Écrivains Awards, and chess and library clubs, among many others.
- Date modified: