Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute
Principal: Robert Gooding
School website: www.dcti.net
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary mathematics and computer science
- Don't hold students back when teaching with new technology. Allow them to surpass you and then use their expertise to teach others.
- Become a facilitator and director of learning by providing constructive feedback on students' efforts and suggestions for further investigation.
- Reach all students, regardless of ability, using a variety of teaching strategies, project styles and information technologies as necessary.
Spearheaded a number of innovative programs that have made the school one of the top few for math and computer science in Toronto:
- developed a two-part multimedia techniques and design course
- pioneered the use of concrete manipulatives for Grade 9 and 10 math courses (e.g. paper folding and geoboards)
- developed a specialized math course for technical students in grades 11 and 12
- developed and implemented a fast-track math course that compresses the grades 9-11 curricula into two years
- integrated computers into many subject areas through development of a cross-curricular computer lab.
Runs in-service workshops on information technology, learning styles, integrating computers into curriculum, and integrating special education students into regular classes.
"Besides his work in the classroom, Peter works towards a better and fairer learning environment for all students." Fellow teacher
- Date modified: