Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Driftwood Park Public School
Principal: Karen Burkett
School website: www.wrdsb.edu.on.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary, all subjects
- Make computers, video cameras and digital cameras everyday tools for students in the classroom.
- Create a flexible learning environment and use an integrated curriculum and multimedia authoring to make learning active and interactive.
- Ensure that each student develops appropriate concepts, skills and attitudes to use the computer as an instructional and creative tool.
Successfully integrated technology into classroom, using off-the-shelf software to create exciting learning opportunities for young students:
- Students in several grades work on various aspects of same project to suit skills.
- For example, Grade 1 students research an insect and design the layout of an electronic report, including the text and a drawing.
- Grade 4 students connect all the stacks, make a title card complete with animation and a menu card.
Multimedia presentation on Olympic skaters created by two Grade 5 students won International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) award. Includes original artwork, text, actor-based animation, claymation, virtual objects and Internet links.
Received ECOO (Educational Computer Organization of Ontario) award for integrating computers into the classroom, a 1998 TV Ontario Award of Merit for innovative teaching methods and a 1998 ISTE award.
"I have never met two teachers who are more dedicated to ensuring their students can express themselves through multimedia authoring." School board official
"Through the years we have learned a lot, and along the way had tons of fun. There is no doubt in our minds when it comes to who our favourite teachers are." Former students
- Date modified: