Archived — Recipient Bios
Year: 1998 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Vaughan Road Academy
Principal: Colleen Baycroft
Grades/Subjects Taught: INTERACT program, Grade 11-OAC English, writer's craft
- Fulfill responsibility as teacher to provide relevant, realistic curricula in secure, respectful, comfortable environment.
- Create this learning environment by setting clear expectations with a firm hand.
- Let students take an active role in education, using discussion-based and participatory teaching.
Created and heads INTERACT program for high school students of all abilities with serious outside commitments such as athletic or dance training:
- provides flexible scheduling of academic classes. For example, a number of skiers completed most the year's mathematics material before winter training season began and returned to school in spring on track with peers
- students participate in Internet-based courses (OAC world issues, senior-level world religion and history courses) while away from school
- established mentorship program between teachers and junior students to nurture lifelong skills of time management, study and learning habits, and communication
- maintains high standards and expectations for these students, and is able to make school interesting and challenging enough to compete with their first loves of sports, dance, drama.
- Date modified: